X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tkenopic
    • Aug 2016

Fuel Pump Rebuild - pressure gauge

I have ordered the MMI mechanical fuel pump rebuild kit and it will arrive this week. I've read in other threads to add a fuel pressure gauge at the same time and had a couple of questions:
    1) What type of gauge and any suggestions where to purchase? (I'm in Ontario, Canada)
    2) Can anyone post a photo of where this should actually be installed? Having trouble visualizing...

Thanks!
    Trevor

Trevor Kenopic
    1974 C&C 30
    Windmagic
    Collingwood, Ontario
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

My setup is with the facet fuel pump but the theory is the same.
    The gauge is the last thing before the carb so you can see delivery pressure at the carb's intake.

I have a Mr Gasket purchased here on Amazon.
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

You might like to do a little research into a JEGS brand fuel pressure gauge. I chose a JEGS gauge over the MrGasket gauge. I don't want to say why - I prefer you do your own research. Also you are going to have to decide if you want a liquid filled gauge or not. There are advantages and disadvantages to a liquid filled gauge.
      On another note this would be an excellent time to install a polishing filter if you don't have one already. MMI sells them but I know it they are easily exportable to Canada.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Tkenopic
        • Aug 2016

Thanks, those suggestions, links and photos help a lot!

Trevor Kenopic
        1974 C&C 30
        Windmagic
        Collingwood, Ontario

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

I bought my gauge and parts at Auto Add-ons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180520_14967.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	198779
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• capnward
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2012

I don't mind saying why.

I recently replaced my Mr. Gasket 1561 gauge with the JEGS 41010 gauge. It was a few dollars more. The Mr. Gasket gauge worked fine, but was hard to read, especially after I got gas on the plastic lens and it went cloudy. I mean, really? A gas gauge that you can't get gas on? Also, it got rusty being made of normal steel. The JEGS is stainless with a glass lens. If there are any disadvantages to it being liquid filled, I haven't seen them yet. Apparently those who use them on hot rods in California say that they read inaccurately when they are hot. Then they drain the fluid out of them. Not likely to happen with me, with an open engine compartment in a low rpm boat in the Northwest. I find the white needle on the black background with larger numbers easier to read.
            +1 on the "polishing filter" upstream of the gauge. I have another one between the Racor and the pump, and the mechanical pump seems to handle pulling/pushing gas through three filters, a check valve, and a shutoff valve just fine. I recommend using non-ethanol gas, with 2 oz. MMO for every 5 gallons. I believe this keeps the diaphragm in the pump from degrading.

Comment

• Tkenopic
              • Aug 2016

I'm in the midst of rebuilding and I think I've reinstalled something incorrectly. See the photos below:

I think the flange should be in the lower position so that it's resting on the housing no?

When I operate the bail, the flange moves, but when I operate the mechanical side (where it will interact with the engine) nothing happens.

Do I have the springs in wrong?
              Thanks!

Trevor Kenopic
              1974 C&C 30
              Windmagic
              Collingwood, Ontario

Comment

Working...
              X