• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theo Lewis
    • Jan 2021

RWC Basket Case Rebuild ?

Good evening A4 community,
    I have a running late model engine in my 74 Ranger 29. It is solid and may last another 50 years. While I may not need these I couldn’t resist… I recently came across not one but two basket cases for a very reasonable price. An early model and a late model as a package, both semi-assembled, both apparently complete. They are bristling with good parts. Newer carbs, crankcase vent kits, MMI heads and pumps, E.I. modules, a 55 and a 100A alternator, a Facet, at least two of every gasket, more. The bad?..both were RWC, used in saltwater (Puget Sound, Washington state). I intend to rebuild the late model as a hobby project to learn about the engines and part-out what is not used for oscrap anything damaged or beyond repair. Question for the group: it worth rebuilding on a block that has been raw water cooled? Also, I am assuming there are some folks that need parts not available from MMI. It would be a shame to waste rare parts.
  • Sam
    Afourian MVP
    • Apr 2010

This is a timely post - just thinking about some needed parts. Regarding your early model engine/parts and if you choose to part out i could use the cast water jacket plate [there is a hack using a late model plate but easier with an early model plate] and the small Prestolite/autolite distributor. What is most needed are the stamped hinged snaps on the side of the distributor that hold the cap in place - removing these reduces the distributor to "just parts" so i would be interested then in the whole assembly.

[If anyone else has these please let me know]

Fyi, I have had a rebuilt early model A4 in storage for 30 years and recently put it up for sale on various sites - very little interest seems to exists for early models. Thx, Sam

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

FWIW

Sam, I have seen many distributors on many old motors with the cap being held down just fine with a couple of "zip-ties". They are quite strong and not much strength is really needed. The black ones seem the strongest and they are "non conductive".

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Sam
        Afourian MVP
        • Apr 2010

Thank you Dave - I have not seen or heard of this before but it makes a lot of sense. Great idea - even going to carry a few black ones as spares. Thx again.

Comment

Working...
        X