• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam
    Afourian MVP
    • Apr 2010

A4 ""Early Model" Rebuilt 4 Sale

I have a early model crated/skid A4 for sale that I have had in heated storage for 30yrs. I bought it thinking that one day I might need it in my 1966 Morgan 34 which I have had for 47 yrs. with help from this forum the original engine is still running strong and I am losing my storage space. I bought it from an elderly gentleman who had what mechanics call "short block" rebuild but his son repowered his boat with a diesel. He had in storage for 8yrs as well after bench testing. Periodically I would shoot some oil in the cylinders and hand rotate the crankshaft - all works well.

The crate is 2ft x 3ft x 28 in. high, engine is complete with monted carb, prestolite/points distributor, mechanical fuel pump, water pump, coil, wire harness, hoses, new [then] marine generator with mechanical regulator etc.

#UJ74922 mid 1960's vintage, painted red, came out of a Sorverel 29, bolt pattern is 11 1/2 in wide x 15 7/16 in long using 3/8 in lag bolts, price $1000 w/o shipping. Located in near south side Chicago boat yard. Thx, Sam
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Price doesn't seem out of line.
    For truck shipping, you want to be able to get a pallet lift under the crate. Perhaps a couple of lengths of 4x4 screwed on through the bottom of the crate?
    I shipped an A4 a few years back, and used a full size pallet (happened to have one). Built an engine bed on the pallet, then built the box. Didn't want it tipping over!

Comment

• Sam
      Afourian MVP
      • Apr 2010

Thx for your thoughts. That exactly what the PO did - fabricated a solid test bed, had 2 x 4 's on bottom to accommodate forklift blades and built solid 1/2-inch plywood box/lid around engine and base. I didn't see any need to change and that was way it was stored.

After a little thinking since I don't have direct usage experience with the engine, I'll medicate risk by returning purchase price if buyer has a mechanical issue.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

it shouldn't be hard to run a compression check and block pressure check if you want to avoid sending it out and getting it back
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
        X