• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Engine Failure yesterday.

Went out yesterday am to look for the Morgan whaleship. No sign of her in the river - no wind, so powering with the main up. Got out by Rapid Rock, and spotted her way down W - Saybrook? Then must have towed here there at 15 knots! Wind by now is blowing pretty good - put a reef in the main, rolled out the jib, and continued heading SW - engine running slow to charge batteries using the new Balmar alternator controller (out with the old AutoMac). Halfway to Plum Isl we gave up and headed for Fishers Island to have lunch, read, and relax. Before getting to North Hill, the engine started sounding 'funny' - then quit. Shut her down and sailed into West Harbor, restarting the engine to pick up our mooring. Got things secured, then checked the engine - found gas dripping out of the carb. Shut off at tank, open fwd hatch, ventilate, etc. OK - float valve isn't shutting off.
    Remove carb, drain, remove bowl, clean float valve, reinstall.
    Oh yeah, Xintex fume sniffer didn't go off until I was removing the carb the first time - makes me wonder about the sensor???
    Did this twice before I got a working float valve. After lunch and a little R&R, sailed back to New London - arriving just ahead of the Morgan! Admiral got her photos, and we finally powered uneventfully into our slip.
    Our marina is funny - when some folks come in there's great distress and many folks running around to handle lines and fend off. Admiral and I come in, no one moves, and they just watch us back into our slip. Perhaps if we were to come in under sail they'd scurry a bit???
    Last night I went to order a new valve and seat online, then checked the cost of UPS. Decided to order two valves and seats! With the ethanol in the gas, I think the rubber tips on the valves have a finite life. I would suggest a 5 year replacement cycle - anyone else have a different number to suggest?
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

If the float needle tip is viton you shouldn't have to worry much.

Comment

• prstack7
      • Aug 2011

Never changed float valve and seat

I would not think this a routine maintenance issue. How did the tip look? When I had valve & seat issues, I cleaned carb, remounted and chalked it up to debris finding its way past the filter. Does anyone else change this on a maintenance cycle?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Chunks

Al, never seen a real issue with a Viton tip!! If you have a sticking N&S it is from something getting in that holds it open, other than that they're pretty fool proof. The float could have a pin hole in it too, give that a check as well. If you have filters clean the chamber that introduces the fuel to the N&S assembly. Often the culprit is a piece of hose breaking off due to the barbs and getting into the N7S chamber. If it is holding the N&S open it is something bigger than a filter would pass!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by prstack7 View Post
          I would not think this a routine maintenance issue. . . . . . Does anyone else change this on a maintenance cycle?
          I do, at least every other year, full carb rebuild.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
            If the float needle tip is viton you shouldn't have to worry much.

Makes me wonder if some are and some aren't.

Five years ago, when we first got our boat, I pulled apart the carb to clean it and found the tip completely gone!! It's amazing it ran as well as it did on the bare metal tip!

@(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2009

Follow up on this thread. Tested the fuel pump - 4 psi output. Replaced the float valve and all seems fine. No more carb overflow.
              Today were were out sailing and the engine wouldn't run properly at high throttle. Checked numerous things that could have been affected by all my engine work - spark plug cables secure at both ends, etc. Found nothing. Finally screwed in the adjustable main jet then screwed it out again. Engine now runs fine.
              Yes, this is a plug for the adjustable main jet. Perhaps it should be advertised as an easy-clean main jet, that just happens to be adjustable!
              Perhaps the same piece of crud that caused my float valve problem found it's way to the main jet?? Anyway, all is good! I and the Admiral are happy.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Is this the same engine that has the "chopped" mechanical fuel pump mod?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  • Jan 2007

Chunks & no-chunks

Al, any chunks that could cause the float to stick or plug the jet should never get there with proper filters. Note a good deal of the KRAP I have found in carbs is from hoses being pulled off and on sharp barbs causing small chunks of hose to get to the carb.
                  NOTE for the above I remove the fuel line from the carb by loosening the clamp and then removing the fitting by turning it with the hose in place. If I have done this a few times I then just replace the hose. Be very careful to completely clean out the cavity the fuel is fed into that supplies the needle and seat.
                  I have run for 30 years now with a Racor and the last ten with a polishing filter. In that time (better than a 100 hours a year) I have never had a carb issue and the carb has been cleaned/redone 4 times. I must admit I have had it off&on for many jetting sequence changes to get the carb right, 8 times in a single day while on the water. I did some idle jet testing for Don and doing so found some issues in the transfer area from idle to low speed which required an internal change. I found the stock jetting to be fine. I have done many of these carbs for friends and such and once the lines and fuel supply is free of chunks no more carb problems.
                  RE ethanol in the fuels it is no biggie as long as you don't let it sit to long. It also seems to me that the additives most use add to the problems and are only to mask a problem until it is fixed!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

'67,
                    No, the engine with the 'chopped' mechanical pump is on the spare engine in the basement. This engine is installed - new Racor and polishing filter last season.
                    Best..

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                      • Jan 2007

Al, I have a spare fuel pump to which I did the "no bowl" modification. For those of us with machining and or tapping experience it is a very positive modification. Eliminating the "screen" that filtered at just a smaller diameter than the idle ports so no chunks could foul the inside. I can't wait to try it and not have the possible bowl leak!!!

Al remember the cavity, lots of crap can gather there.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

The only issue I've ever had with my mechanical fuel pumps are the bowl leaking, usually in the spring after sitting over the winter, or if I remove it to empty the bowl contents.

I may get my spare pump out and see what I can do with it.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X