X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raleighm
    • Jan 2005

Ericson 27 in Hampton, VA

I have owned my Ericson 27 for three years and have gotten to know my A4 quite well over that time. I bought the boat on eBay and a known issue was that the engine was not running.

My initial diagnosis revealed that the #1 cylinder had no pressure. Removing the head revealed a stuck exhaust valve that was easily freed with Marvel Mystery Oil. Had the head checked and machined, re-installed it and attempted to start the engine, only to find that the carb was clogged up. Cleaned out the carb and she fired right up! Unfortunately, there was air spitting out between the head and block under the thermostat housing (a known weak spot in A4 heads). Ordered a new head from MMI. Also found a gouge in the block from the outer edge into the #1 cylinder where someone had used a tool to wedge the head off previously. Cleaned, filled (with JB Weld) and filed the gouge and installed the new head. No more pressure leak and the engine ran great!

Not long after, the engine began to exhibit starting problems after sailing. No problem starting at the pier prior to heading out but great difficulty when trying to get back! Removed carb and found water in the bowl! Also found quite a bit of gunky water in the steel fuel tank. Pumped fuel tank dry and added clean fuel and a little fuel drying agent. Great for awhile but then noticed that fuel filter was getting clogged with rust particles and shutting down the engine so I replaced the fuel tank and filters!

That solved the filter-clogging issue but the hard starting after sailing continued to be an issue. I also noticed water in the carb throat one day while trying to diagnose the issue! Where could that be coming from? Finally discovered the problem by pressure-testing the manifold. A nice hole in the aft end of the manifold water jacket! Bought a new manifold from Moyer and the engine now runs perfectly and no more starting issues!

After three years of tinkering, I finally have an engine that starts and runs reliably! What a relief!! Many thanks to Don Moyer for all his advice and for maintaining this site. I think I would have pitched the A4 into the dump long ago if not for the help I got here!

Other improvements I have made include the Moyer oil change kit (great!) and the Indigo Electronics EGR kit (no fumes in the cabin now!). Next on the wish list are the Indigo prop and oil filter kit for the A4.
Working...
X