• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sdemore View Post
    Lat 64, I grew up on motorboats, sails were for people who couldn't afford gas!
    Wait until you replace you first sail, and you'll realize how much gas you can buy for that petrol based dacron product hanging from the rig! I have this talk with my power boat friends all the time, and they usually respond with, "I had no idea."
    Last edited by sastanley; 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• sdemore
      • Nov 2016

This being the first time I've worked on one of these engines, I was a bit worried by surface rust on the cylinders inside the block and pitting between the #4 cylinder and valves. After seeing pictures of some of the other engines being rebuilt, I'm getting pretty comfortable that this one is going to be fine. No rust, all of the metal is there, and the pitting is barely deep enough to feel.
      Attached Files
      Steve Demore
      S/V Doin' It Right
      Pasadena, MD
      sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Doesn't look too bad
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Wow...looks great. I would highly recommend installing FWC to help keep this pristine motor running another 40 years. Moyer sells a great kit, and/or you can build design your own, as some of us have done.

Another upgrade I would recommend are studs in the water jacket sideplate. Over the years, the load from the alternator can elongate and ruin the middle lower left hole. Also, MOyer has a cool bracket that helps spread the load and avoid the problem. part # OVEL_13_558
          Last edited by sastanley; 02-21-2017, 03:42 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• sdemore
            • Nov 2016

I installed the studs this weekend!

Here is my dilemma. The boat was a freebie, project boat. I only intend to sail her for 4 or 5 years, to learn to sail. At that point, we'll likely give this one away and invest in a larger, live-aboard, in preparation for retirement. We're trying to keep this one as economical as possible, as momma still isn't convinced on the lifestyle and thinks this is going to be a money pit. I would love to go FWC, but I think the cost is outside the budget right now.
            Steve Demore
            S/V Doin' It Right
            Pasadena, MD
            sigpic

Comment

• Nanook
              • Nov 2016

... momma still isn't convinced on the lifestyle and thinks this is going to be a money pit....
              Boat bucks are like "aviation maintenance units". The number sometimes hurts, sometimes hurts a lot.

Just because one may be breathing, doesn't mean they are living. The dollars, sometimes small, sometimes breath-suckingly large, are just the ticket to the dance hall. You can dance around until your blisters get blisters or stand on the wall. Life is too short not to go sailing.

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I would love to go FWC, but I think the cost is outside the budget right now.
                You can do a RWC engine a huge favor by adding a flush Tee to the pump intake and flushing with fresh water during post-sortie boat cleanup. Several posts on the forum about it.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sdemore
                  • Nov 2016

That certainly looks affordable and fairly easy to install!
                  Steve Demore
                  S/V Doin' It Right
                  Pasadena, MD
                  sigpic

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

The boat was a freebie, project boat. I only intend to sail her for 4 or 5 years, to learn to sail. At that point, we'll likely give this one away and invest in a larger, live-aboard, in preparation for retirement. We're trying to keep this one as economical as possible, as momma still isn't convinced on the lifestyle and thinks this is going to be a money pit..
                    "A boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money."

I think you are on the right track. Start off with a basic freebie sail boat then move up to a larger boat if and when you are both ready.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

I installed the studs this weekend!

Here is my dilemma. The boat was a freebie, project boat. I only intend to sail her for 4 or 5 years, to learn to sail. At that point, we'll likely give this one away and invest in a larger, live-aboard, in preparation for retirement. We're trying to keep this one as economical as possible, as momma still isn't convinced on the lifestyle and thinks this is going to be a money pit. I would love to go FWC, but I think the cost is outside the budget right now.
                      I've been sailing my entire life and I am not sure if I want to retire on a boat!
                      -Shawn
                      sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

Boat ownership is a sickness most of us cannot shake. Old boats are only cheaper than new boats. If you want to go sailing and really save money, take keelboat lessons and charter a bareboat. I'm down about thirty thousand dollars and I still have a boat on the hard with no plumbing yet and a mess in the electrical sys.
                        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                          I've been sailing my entire life and I am not sure if I want to retire on a boat!
                          Oh, I don't know. Some power boats look like floating condos. But I'm sure this is not what we are talking about here.

More seriously, the live a board sail boats that I've seen in my size range (30-37 feet) have so much stuff and clutter aboard that I can't imagine them sailing at all. I guess it could be done but it would take a lot of effort to secure all the stuff*. Most live a boards sail boats never leave the slip. Maintenance suffers. So sad.

*This comes from someone who cannot stand to have things flying around while under way or sailing.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sdemore
                            • Nov 2016

Up and Running - Sort Of...

Thank you all for your help!

My carburetor is still out for restoration, so I cleaned up an old junk one and got the engine running with it. Still need to set the timing and dwell, but I'll wait for the good carb to run it any more.

Sorry for the link, but I don't know how to embed video in this version of VBulletin...

[YOUTUBE]j8QU01sBbAs[/YOUTUBE]
                            Last edited by sdemore; 04-13-2017, 11:00 PM.
                            Steve Demore
                            S/V Doin' It Right
                            Pasadena, MD
                            sigpic

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                              • May 2010

Nice work!

To embed YouTube, click on the YouTube icon, and paste only the alphanumeric part of the YouTube URL between them.
                              Attached Files
                              Jeff

sigpic
                              S/V Bunny Planet
                              1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• sdemore
                                • Nov 2016

Thanks Jeff, worked great!
                                Steve Demore
                                S/V Doin' It Right
                                Pasadena, MD