• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forcenine
    • Jan 2007

Shifter Assembly

HI-
    I've got 2 issues:

1) What size is the set screw for the shifting arm? I've discovered mine does not have one in place.

2) I had to work on releasing the shifter from its shaft since due to probable corrosion, the shaft wasn't turning and therefore the shifting had no detents and wasn't going into gears well. Now that its freed up (although still without its set screw), the shifter is INCREDIBLY hard to shift. Before I had no detents and now its so hard to shift that the cable bends and can't manage it. I can barely manage it manually. Why? Was it something we did by freeing up the shaft?
    Lisa
    "forcenine"
  • superdave474
    • Jun 2007

RE: Shifter

Darn it Lisa, I was just down in Redondo yesterday. Wish I had thought of it, I would have come down to the boat to check it out.

I"ve probably got an extra set screw. I'll dig around and see if I can find one. Are you saying that the shaft that enters the reversing gear housing is not turning, and that the shifting arm is not moving either?

Comment

• forcenine
      • Jan 2007

need a screw - ha

Darn it SuperDave, I really need that set screw.

Before the wedge and the hitting, that shaft wasn't moving-like frozen on. The shifter still worked but poorly without going into detents between neutral and forward or neutral and reverse (assuming it is supposed to). Reverse was not fully engaging seemingly because the cable did not go back far enough to allow it. But in the process of trying to move the cable to allow more room to go into reverse, it was discovered that the shaft to which the shifter attaches via a keyway/key/set screw was not turning. NOW it turns although there is shifter wiggle without the set screw. Shifting now is EXTREMELY difficult...push, BANG into forward; pull back, BANG into Neutral...pull back more, BANG into reverse. Bangs are detents.

Comment

• superdave474
        • Jun 2007

wow, that sounds scary. Are you sure you don't have hamsters down there lighting off firecrackers? Happened to a friend of mine, seriously.

maybe someone else here has some insight, sounds to me like you may have some broken clips or springs in there. I know what its supposed to look like under the cover, but can't figure out the problems from your symptoms. Seems to me that if the shaft isn't moving, then you wouldn't be able to shift into forward or reverse at all, and the lever would be rotating around the shaft.

maybe someone can reading here can point you in the right direction based on your description. I"d be happy to give you the screw if I can find one. I'm in LA on Tuesdays, and I'd be happy to look at it if you can take some time during the day. I have to warn you though, I learned last summer how much of a pain it is to adjust the reversing gear. I may have to charge you a couple of beers.

You still have my email?

Comment

Working...
        X