• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeaHarlequin
    • Nov 2019

Discoloration on connections

Hi -

I'm a new boat owner and am still learning about what's normal and not normal with boats. I noticed some discoloration on connections for the cooling system and exhaust system. I wanted to post some pictures in hope that someone could let me know if there was cause for alarm.

Is there a reason these connections have green/rust on them? Is this normal and if not, what are some symptoms that could cause these? If this is normal, what should I monitor these connections for?

Thank you, I appreciate any feedback or advice you may be able to share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water_inlet.png
Views:	1
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	205734

Name:	water_exhaust.png
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	205733

Name:	gas_exhaust.png
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	205732
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

That's pretty normal. The corrosion is from the salt and/or moist environment of the engine box. When the corrosion gets really bad time to address the fittings for integrity. I have seen bronze fittings fail catastrophically on more that a few occasions.
    Wiping the engine down with a spritz of WD-40 will keep them clean on the outside but the corrosion still comes form inside too. A "zinc" in the system helps as it becomes the less noble metal and sacrifices itself for the other materials. Just like a zinc on the prop.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• SeaHarlequin
      • Nov 2019

Thank you, Dave!

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

Congratulations on a new boat, a new hobby, and a really clean-looking engine. Seems you have a good attitude towards monitoring it.

Rust(and corrosion of all types) never sleeps.
        Keep up the good fight.

Welcome to the forum,

Russ
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• SeaHarlequin
          • Nov 2019

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about the boat and looking forward to learning about boat ownership and seamanship. One of the previous owners was supposedly a helicopter mechanic and took care of the engine; I'm trying to learn enough to continue that trend!

I'll be monitoring the corrosion and rust.

Comment

Working...
          X