X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wrapper
    • Apr 2006

Leaking water pump - after replacing seals

Last year the water pump was leaking from a hole between the two seals so over the winter I replaced the two seals.

Now the boat is in the water, it is still leaking. I noticed there was 'some' scouring on the shaft. I am now wondering if I should have refinished or replaced the shaft or what else could have been wrong.

Allan
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Allan,

Other than the shaft being scoured, are you sure you installed the seals facing in the correct direction? The new inner seal should have the name "Oberdorfer" facing you when the seal is installed. This will have the lip of the seal facing in the direction of the impeller chamber. The seal on the flange end of the housing needs to be installed in the opposite direction. The flange seal should be installed with the name "Oberdorfer" facing away from you, so that the lip of the seal faces the engine when the pump is installed.

Don

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

old threat - newbie Q on seal install

not an old threat...but an old thread!

Don, thanks for your detailed instructions on the install. I printed them out and took them with me out to the workbench with hammer, pump & seals in hand.

My questions is, how far inside the flange should the 2nd (flange side) seal be installed? I probably pressed mine 1/8" inch past the inside edge of the flange trying to get it inline (visually square). There is still clearance in the weep holes? of the Oberdorfer pump, and probably 3/16" inch in between each seal.. However, the outer seal (2nd - engine side) is half covering of the weep hole. Hopefully this is Ok..If not, I guess I'll order another seal. Oh..one other note for others...one of my 13/16" sockets was too big (thicker walled), and a cheaper 13/16" socket fit in the chamber with minimal play for pressing..I was a little overzealous I guess on the 2nd seal.
      Last edited by sastanley; 01-29-2009, 12:01 AM. Reason: can't change subject - but added more detail
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

The outside edge of the non-lip side of the seal on the flange end of the pump should be essentially flush with the mounting face of the flange. However, from your description, you should be OK with the location of your seal since the weep holes on the Oberdorfer are very generous.

Don

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Don,
          Thanks for the reply, and answering my question in an old thread..I didn't see any reason to start a new one.

I can take a pic if needed, but there is still clearance in the weep holes, and the seal is only about 1/8" inch past flush. I realize that it should be flush...If it leaks or I have issues, I'll know why!

I was more concerned about any shaft support or other issues since the seals are now slightly closer together than they were probably designed to be.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Rick_Powers
            • Dec 2008

Or you could...

Or you could do what I did:

1) Removed the old water pump, and mangled the housing while trying to remove the seals.

2) Bought a new MMI water pump. A MUCH better design, seals and all.

3) Installed the new pump, only to realize that the leak never was with the old pump in the first place...

Anyhow, upgrading to the new MMI pump is a good thing.
            Rick Powers
            Palo Alto, CA
            1976 Catalina 27

Comment

Working...
            X