X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckohler0529
    • Apr 2017

1st Oil Change Blunder

Hello forum members. Today I was attempting to extract the oil from my engine by using a siphon pump I bought at Harbor Freight. The pump comes with a dipstick extraction tube that you are supposed to put down the dipstick tube. I wasn't able to siphon the oil out this way and ended taking off the transmission plate and removing the oil through there. The problem is that when I was trying to remove the extraction tube from the dipstick tube, it broke. According to the specifications in the users manual, this tube was 47 inches long. I have about 30 inches left now. Any ideas on how I can get the remaining tube out of the dipstick tube? If I can't get it out, what will this do to the engine? I have been on some other forums and read that the tube will eventually break down and wind up in the oil filter. Is that true or will I have to remove the entire engine, crack it open and take it out?
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Hmmm...yeah, I have an idea. Get a spring loaded pickup tool and try and get it after removing the transmission plate.

Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ckohler0529
      • Apr 2017

Good suggestion

Thanks for the link, good suggestion. I ended up removing the transmission plate anyway in order to get the oil out. I couldn't see inside very well. If I can't get it out how badly could this damage the engine if left inside?

Comment

• thatch
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2009

I doubt that there will be a problem with that plastic hose sitting in your oil pan. The oil pump filter screen is made out of about 20 square inches of fine mesh screen so any blockage should be minimal. The absolute best place for oil removal from an A4 is through the 3/4" pipe plug that is under and slightly aft of the carburator. It can be removed with a 3/4"-12 point socket on the end of a long extension. First time removal of that plug may be a little difficult. The Moyer "glam-engine" photo will show it's location and why this is the best oil removal point.
        Tom

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by thatch View Post
          The absolute best place for oil removal from an A4 is through the 3/4" pipe plug that is under and slightly aft of the carburator... The Moyer "glam-engine" photo will show it's location and why this is the best oil removal point.
          As Tom said, the best place is here (see photos) using this kit sold by MMI.
          Been using it for years now. Quick and easy oil changes.
          Attached Files
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

I got one of these a few years ago, when it was on sale for $60 instead of $90.

Works great and well worth it.

- Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• The Garbone
              • Dec 2013

Well, if it makes you feel better I dropped the nut for the reverse band down there when I was finishing up my rebuild. Had to take the entire transmission section apart to get it out.
              Gary
              78' Catalina 30 #1179
              www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

One of my flight students dropped the ring from an oil bottle in the engine. We thought and thought about the possible damage it could do and decided better safe than sorry and got the A&P over to take the oil tank off the engine. He found TWO rings in there
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                X