X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taterry
    • Feb 2005

Shut down, lack of fuel

This last weekend while motoring near Alcatraz on SF Bay....the old A4 shut down as if we had run out of fuel. When restarting, it would sputter and die. Fortunately the harbor master at St. Francis YC came out and towed us in.
    My boat came with a Fram fuel filter, which is a paper type. I took the filter out looking for water but didn't see any. This filter insert was about one year old. I also took down the fuel pump (mechanical) catch tank for the first time. It had a little debris and had rusted in the bottom. Cleaned this out and left out the paper filter insert and the old A4 got back home to Oakland without missing a beat. Questions, will water plug these paper type filters? Is the Fram designed so that any water will be trapped in the bottom of it? I've been using a pint of alcohol fuel dryer on each fill up plus a little Magic Mistry oil too. Is this good practice? I also try to keep the tank (aluminum) full to prevent condensation. Clearly a piece of something plugged up the jet but then cleared itself. Anyother suggestions to prevent this from happening in the future??
    Thanks
    Terry
Working...
X