• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Refrigeration

With regard to refrigerators, when on a cruise and no shore power ( mooring) does anyone have experience with how often to run a small refrig/freezer and how often the batteries need to be recharged. Can small freezer run 4 or 5 hours on battery alone? then recharge batteries?. What cycle time is to be expected?
    Art,
    Cycle time is dependent on a variety of factors, i.e., insulation quality, door/lid design, how often it's opened, how full it is, location in the boat, etc.

On board Kalina I converted the standard top loading ice box to a refrigerator by installing a Nova-cool refrigeration system. I added 3" of insulation to the opening lid and plugged the bottom drain to keep the cold air from running to the bilge. At the slip, sunlight exposure is on the same side as the frige. With that setup, its cycle is a 4 minute run with a 4 minute interval or 50% of the time. The system draws 5 amps so it adds up to 60 amp-hours daily. This figure decreases in the winter.

On a cruise, I need to produce 60 A-H daily just to keep up with the frige, more for lighting, stereo, blender, etc. I don't have solar yet but it's on the list. I did install a 100 amp alternator but was criticized heavily for doing so on another forum. Their feeling was the output was determined by the battery state rather than the alternator capacity (I agree totally). My position was, what if the battery bank wants more than 35A? My strategy was to reduce recharge time if possible.

Battery storage capacity is a factor too. You want enough capacity to last at least a full day to be able to choose when you recharge (run the engine or generator and annoy everyone within earshot in a quiet anchorage). An old rule of thumb is to add a battery with the addition of refrigeration.

I currently have 5 batteries on board: 4 - group 27 lead-acid batteries paired up in 2 banks for the house and 1 - group 24 isolated as an engine starter. With that, I can survive 24 hours on a single bank (G27 pair) without any regard for power conservation or recharging. In theory, I could recharge once every other day. In practice, I recharge daily, always like to have a reserve.

Finally, I don't know if this applies to our engines but I took a diesel course many years ago and the instructor felt there was nothing worse for a diesel than to run it in neutral at the dock. He said the engine takes too long to reach operating temp if at all and accordingly the nasties in the crankcase oil aren't sufficiently evaporated out causing premature wear. His mantra was if you need to run your engine, take your boat out, put some load on it. Based on what I've read on this thread, this would apply at least to our trannys.
    Last edited by ndutton; 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

Thanks for the great info Neil. Wow! so many batteries.

I have 2 marine/ rv large deep cycle batteries "Die Hards" from Sears.
      Not sure how long one of these could survive running at 50 percent
      cycling. based on earlier info I am looking into one of the recommended
      Honda 1000 Watt generators. Looks like it is capable of supplying around
      8 amps DC as well as AC at some other rate.

I would plan to run the freezer off the engine while traveling during the
      day, and apparently, need to run a generator nearly continuously
      to keep batteries up in port. Maybe I would use the freezer to keep
      things frozen at the begining of the cruise, then later let things defrost
      and use it in refrigerator mode. Definately seems as though it requires
      a real plan. ( and I thought going thru lots of ice was bad!!)

I choose to buy the Dometic model 25 small capacity freezer, cooler
      hoping that it would solve my problems. The ice box on the Tartan 34c \
      is massive and seemed very difficult to insulate and expensive .

I bought a 6 day cooler from walmart as well as a thermoelectric refrigerator
      the refrig was only around 150 bucks. The Demetic was around 450 from
      Defender. Now i am adding another 800 bucks or more for a generator.
      "Lots of cash to do away with ice".

Thanks again guys much appreciated
      Art

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Art,

One inefficiency with a door type fridge is when you open the door, all the cold air spills out. A top loader doesn't do this. You might also look into dropping that $800 on solar, works when you're not there.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Art,

One inefficiency with a door type fridge is when you open the door, all the cold air spills out. A top loader doesn't do this. You might also look into dropping that $800 on solar, works when you're not there.
          Thanks again Neil

It certainly seems as though it is a process, and there is no
          quick fix to the energy issue. By the way, I have purchased top loading
          units. How much charging capability does solar offer?

Regards

Art

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Art,

Started new thread in off-topic.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California