X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtnsail
    • May 2019

Egine Died yesterday and wont restart

Have an Atomic 4 engine with Indego electronic ignition. Over the past couple months the engine would suddenly die while warming but always restart immediately. Never died while motoring.
    yesterday while motoring back home it died again suddenly and still will not start.
    I did jumper from battery to coil and that didn't work. what would be next steeps and likely cause?
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Have you spoken with indigo?

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

It's helpful to determine if the problem is spark or fuel related. A quick test for fuel is to spritz a little starting aid into the intake and try to start. If it pops or coughs, a fuel related problem is indicated.

A spark test procedure is found here:

A failed spark test combined with your battery source jumper means it's time to call Indigo.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• capnward
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2012

Check for both fuel and spark, but it sounds like a spark issue. If all your electrical connections are clean and tight, and jumping from the battery doesn't make a spark from the main wire at the top of the coil, I am guessing that your coil is done. It may not have been compatible with the Indigo EI. I have the Indigo EI with the Moyer coil, both put on last year, and have had no problems.

Comment

• mtnsail
          • May 2019

oil saftey switch

looks like problem is oil safety switch, can this cause i intermittent problems and where can I get replacement

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mtnsail View Post
            looks like problem is oil safety switch, can this cause i intermittent problems and where can I get replacement
            Could be the OPSS. They do fail in all sorts of different manners.
            To diagnose short across or bypass the OPSS and see if the problem goes away.
            Our host, MMI, sells replacement OPSSs.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Tim
              • Jul 2005

Be sure you don't have low oil pressure before you bypass the switch.
              Pearson 10M
              Gloucester, Va

Comment

Working...
              X