X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fundysailor
    • Jun 2014

Water in intake manifold

I recently found I have water leaking into the intake mainfold. Removed the manifold and found water is actually coming in from the port in the block (manifold itself doesn't leak). I'm guessing this could be a head gasket problem, or is it likely more serious? Hope someone can advise! The engine is 1966 vintage, in an Acadian yawl.
    Last edited by fundysailor; 07-03-2014, 11:14 AM.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Could be a number of things, none of them good but some worse than others. Head gasket could be the cause but a crack in the block between a water port and an intake valve is possible too. If water is in an intake port it's also in the cylinder and therefore creating havoc with the rings, valves and their guides, cylinder walls, etc.

Until the actual cause is determined you need to protect the engine from seizure. Frequently rotate the engine either by hand or by the starter, coil '+' wire and spark plugs removed, block cooling water (either FWC or RWC) shut off and a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders. Check the crankcase oil for water incursion too.

On principle alone I'd pressure check the manifold anyway. Nothing's off the table yet.

Welcome to the forum, wish it were under better circumstances.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• fundysailor
      • Jun 2014

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the comments. After similar questions to local mechanics it seems best to pull the engine and get it thoroughly checked out - "much easier to do so in the shop than standing on your head in the bilge". I did turn off the water intake and drained water from everything I could get to, in order to prevent or minimize further damage. Didn't find any sign of water in the oil, at least! So, engine comes out tomorrow, I hope, and we'll see.....

Thanks again,

Gord
      Last edited by fundysailor; 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X