X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwalters
    • Sep 2008

Proper NPT to hose fitting for 5/8 hose

I am trying to assemble the necessary bronze fittings to create a winterization tee. The marine grade hose used between the seacock and the Groco raw water strainer is marked 5/8 (no indication of whether that is ID or OD). My plan was to use a 1/2 NPT tee, a 1/2 NPT close nipple, a full flow Groco ball valve, and three full flow 1/2 NPT to hose fittings. I am having trouble finding the right pipe to hose fittings though. It seems 1/2 to 5/8 is uncommon in full flow despite the fact that the Groco and Vdrive all have pipe to hose fittings that work with the hose. Does 5/8 hose actually require a 5/8 hose fitting or something different?
    Ken
    Ken
    C&C 33-1 '75
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

I'd say the 5/8 means the hose is 5/8" ID. I ended up using 3/4" fittings with 5/8" hose barbs for 5/8" ID hose, and after several discussions with those more knowledgable decided not to worry if the ID of the fittings was less than 5/8". The ball valve I was provided by the parts guy has a locking mechanism to prevent the valve from opening accidentally to leak seawater - nice touch. I added a cap to the end of the winter hose piece for added safety.
    Last edited by rigspelt; 07-21-2009, 06:04 AM.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• kwalters
      • Sep 2008

Where did you source your parts? I would be fine with 3/4 tee, valve, and nipple but was having trouble finding 5/8 barbs in bronze.
      Ken
      C&C 33-1 '75

Comment

• rigspelt
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2008

Originally posted by kwalters View Post
        Where did you source your parts? I would be fine with 3/4 tee, valve, and nipple but was having trouble finding 5/8 barbs in bronze.
        A local marine parts store, not a chain. He said I was lucky he had some in stock, but there appear to be supplies of them here and there.
        1974 C&C 27

Comment

Working...
        X