• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

Oil pressure safety switch

Hello,

I recently bought a "rebuilt in 2009 and not run since" A4. It is a newer model, and has the Fawcet pump. The Oil pressure safety switch was located on "Point A" in my photo. The Moyer Service book shows it at "Point B" on page 1-5. Should I move it? Not at all sure how it works, as our old A4 had a mechanical fuel pump and no safety switch.

Thanks,
    Marty 1967 T 27 Poseidon
    Attached Files
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic
  • jpian0923
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Red arrow points to recommended port. http://www.moyermarine.com/faq/3.5.html
    Seems like point A would interfere with carburetor somehow. For maintenance reasons I'd put it where the red arrow is...just behind the flywheel housing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jpian0923; 10-09-2011, 12:58 AM.
    "Jim"
    S/V "Ahoi"
    1967 Islander 29
    Harbor Island, San Diego
    2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• Marty Levenson
      • Nov 2004

sending unit vs safety switch?

Thanks Jim,

Isn't that where the Oil Pressure Sending unit goes? I'm asking about the Oil Pressure Safety Switch?

-Marty
      Marty
      1967 Tartan 27
      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
        • Nov 2004

oops

...just read the link you sent. That answers it....thanks!!

-Marty
        Marty
        1967 Tartan 27
        Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Marty, looks like you have multiple threads for the same rebuild. This is just my opinion but, one thread makes it easier to follow your progress and offer advice without flipping back and forth to each thread. This way you won't have to start every new thread with a new introduction.

And, you only have to answer the standard questions once.
          Last edited by jpian0923; 10-09-2011, 01:16 AM.
          "Jim"
          S/V "Ahoi"
          1967 Islander 29
          Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• Marty Levenson
            • Nov 2004

threads

Thanks Jim,

I guess there are pros and cons for both ways. Right now I have so many questions that making separate threads is helping me organize..plus if someone is looking into a particular topic later on the thread titles might help.

This forum is fantastically helpful and respectful: really a great community.
            Marty
            1967 Tartan 27
            Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Good point.
              "Jim"
              S/V "Ahoi"
              1967 Islander 29
              Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• jhwelch
                • Dec 2005

I have my oil pressure sender and the safety switch both at the point nearest the flywheel connected to a "T". For me access is so much better there than at the point back by the reversing gear.

-Jonathan

Comment

• Loki9
                  • Jul 2011

All three of those ports are connected internally, so you can use any of them. Ease of access will be the deciding factor.
                  Jeff Taylor
                  Baltic 38DP

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by jhwelch View Post
                    I have my oil pressure sender and the safety switch both at the point nearest the flywheel connected to a "T". For me access is so much better there than at the point back by the reversing gear.
                    I had those two plus the alarm sensor on the same 1/8" nipple behind the flywheel and although it worked fine I got concerned over all that weight hanging on a long nipple with the addition of engine vibration. My solution was to remotely mount the sensor array on a nearby bulkhead and connect it to the oil pressure port with a short length of 300 psi rated hose from NAPA. It needed a supplemental ground wire to the array for the gauge sender and alarm switch to work.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                      • Nov 2004

thanks!

That's all really useful: thanks!

-Marty
                      Marty
                      1967 Tartan 27
                      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                        • Nov 2004

back from the abyss

Well, I decided to remove the dented up brass pipe that connected my oil sensor to the block just behind the flywheel so I could clean that area up more easily for painting. Simple, right? It was round all the way: nothing for a wrench to hold. Tried as big a pipe wrench as I could fit into that spot (weird angle) and still no go. Vise grips same. My penetrating oil is on the boat, so I didn't wait to use that. Tried harder, and the thing snapped off flush with the block. Hmmm. A neighbour loaned me a set of easy outs (!) , and I hadn't yet read about the horrors of using those. Long story slightly shorter, the easy out broke off flush too...with surprising little force. Hmmm. Went to bed and had bad dreams.
                        Next day found some time to make matters worse. Tried drilling with a small titanium drill bit. Too hard. Managed to cut a slot across with a dremel, heated it up with a blow torch, and tried to unscrew the easy out. No luck. Many, many tries ensued. The day passed. Skipped lunch. Tried heating more and tapping it around in a circle. Never moved. Finally in a daze I decided to use various dental burrs I've accumulated and managed to grind the easy out around its edges, hoping to get a pliers around it when it was just a doughnut hole. Took a while. Suddenly the whole thing popped INTO the port before I thought it was ready to grab. Tried to grab it with a needle nose, but that just nudged it in further. Tried to convince myself that would be fine. No luck. Had a brainstorm: grabbed a 1" long cylindrical rare earth magnet and stuck it on the end of a metal punch. It held there well, but I was afraid it would decide to stick to the block instead and join its friend there. Wrapped multiple layers of tape around the magnet and punch, so it would be less attracted to the sides of the hole in the block. Left the flat end exposed. Poked it gently in the hole - way into the hole - and heard/felt a satisfying clink! Pulled out a piece of easy out that was over an inch long. Poked around more but didn't find more.
                        After that, it was easy to pry the remains of the brass pipe out, as I could bend an edge over slightly where it was cut from making the slot earlier. Amazingly, the threads in the block seem fine: screwed in a new pipe as a test.
                        I feel great now! Its amazing how depressing that was: felt like my entire world was on hold.

-Marty
                        Marty
                        1967 Tartan 27
                        Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Well...at least you now know that when you replace your buddy's broken Easy Out you won't be asking to borrow it again!
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Jan 2007

Tapered threads!

Marty, careful with the sealing of the threads! If some of the high spots (top of the thread) are nicked they will not seal well. I'd first try to run a pipe tap into the hole and once it starts to cut only go ONE turn and be done with it. If you don't pay a bit of attention to the area after running a bit for leaks.

Good luck!
                            Dave Neptune

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                              • Nov 2004

leak fears

Thanks for that, Dave,

I have little experience with taps. I was wondering how reliable those threads will be now. Also, the raised edge around the hole in the block now has a 1/16" deep narrow cut (from cutting the slot that didn't work). Could that cause a leak? Seems unlikely. But, all in all wondering if I should drill and tap a larger hole and start fresh. Advisable? hard to do?

Thanks,
                              Marty
                              Marty
                              1967 Tartan 27
                              Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X