• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dtinder
    • Oct 2004

Fuel line

Morning Don, et al

After several hours of sitting in the cockpit pondering the cause of my intermittent shutdowns, I observed the following: On my C/C 27' there is a 20 gal fuel tank on the stbd side that is hard piped with 1/4 " copper thru a shut off valve direct to the elect fuel pump which is remotely mounted on the port side----then hose to the Racor----and hose to the carb--all 5/16" A-1.

I could re-bend the copper direct to the Racor but I'm not real good with flare fittings---plus the USCG is not overly pleased with hard pipe that has the capability to work harden in some applications. I'm not to worried about that however as ther is minimal vibration the way it is plumbed.

My plan is to use hose from the tank---thru the shutoff---to a primer bulb---to an inline sightglass filter to the Racor---to the pump----to the carb. From your previous posts, I like the idea of being able to prime the system during filter changes and also check for otherwise undetectable sources of air leaks in the system.
    Your advice and counsel are always appreciated--

Best Regards,
    Dave in sunny Ft Myers
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Dave,

Your plan sounds fine except for one rather small detail.

I believe your small inline filter will serve you better if you locate it just ahead of the carburetor. These small filters usually have a 1 or 2 micron mesh, which makes them ideal when used as a secondary (or polishing) filter, downstream from the primary filter, which will usually have a 10 micron filter element.

By placing the small filter just ahead of the carburetor, it will insure that the last thing your fuel sees just before entering the carburetor is the 1 or 2 micron mesh of the small filter.

Best regards,

Don Moyer

Comment

Working...
    X