• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhickey
    • Sep 2013

Muffler for Bench Test

Hey folks,

As a fun little quarantine project, I've been rebuilding an old parts engine in my shed and she's coming together nicely. I'm almost ready to do a test start and have all systems (hopefully) working, but the one thing I'm missing is an exhaust system and muffler.

Aside from the obvious danger of angry neighbors and scared children, is there any downside to a short test start without any muffler attached? Proper ventilation won't be a problem, I just want to make sure there's not an obvious issue I'm overlooking here. If this is not advisable, are there any solutions for a temporary muffler?
    Chris
    S/V Seeker
    1972 C&C 30
    Terra Nova Yacht Club, Holyrood NL
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

The low compression A-4 is not really that noisy. Just thread a few pipes together from the manifold and it will be much quieter. Don't think I'd really worry about it that much.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• cdhickey
      • Sep 2013

Okay, good to know. Thanks!
      Chris
      S/V Seeker
      1972 C&C 30
      Terra Nova Yacht Club, Holyrood NL

Comment

• wristwister
        • Nov 2013

I ran mine with no muffler after rebuild, including putting an hour or so on it for the break-in oil. Here's my post with some audio. Not too noisy at all, as far as I know none of my neighbors called the cops.

"A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• ronstory
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2016

Or to help keep harmony with your locked-down neighbors... i got one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223868001633 ... mine was just under $10 shipped to the door.

It has a 1 1/4" NPT fitting on the inlet, could not be easier to add to the A4.

This seller is out-of-stock but there are other sellers with availability. I have not tried it yet, now in the painting stage.
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
          X