X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kemp Dawson
    • Mar 2005

Transmission slipping

Putting it in forward was very hard. Adjusted the ring one notch counter clockwise in a very difficult space next to the engine and now it slips when power is applied. I can return it to the "bend the shifting lever setting" and it will work. Is this 1973 Atomic 4 near the end of its transmittion life or am I missing something? Reverse worked well before the change.
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Try this.

Trying to get my head around this here. Been a couple of weeks since I was at this.

Do you have the MMI manual? Mine is down on the boat. The manual will show it all.

You could try backing the ring of one notch again. Putting the shifter into forward should feel very similar to putting a car's manual shifter into gear while parked and the clutch out....it's just a click and holds there.

Then: see what your reverse is like. If it is slow to lock up turn your reversing gear nut (3/4 inch wrench) one turn clock wise. See what happens. Try a few adjustments there and ensure you have a NEUTRAL spot.

If you have the "bend the handle" forward indent THAT can cause premature failure. Might be a combination of adjustments to get it right. Not a good idea to run it much in forward with it tight like that.

Anyone else that has an idea on this jump right in.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Have you tried removing the cable from the shift arm and operated it that way? I'm wondering if cable stiffness is a contributing factor.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Neil makes a very good point - make sure it's not something in the linkage or cable before diving in to adjusting the clutch.
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• jpian0923
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Forward adjusting collar

Your Reversing gear is fine but Read this about "Improved forward adjusting collar."

I live with the "bend the shifting lever setting."

Get a stronger shift lever.
          Last edited by jpian0923; 06-14-2011, 01:06 AM.
          "Jim"
          S/V "Ahoi"
          1967 Islander 29
          Harbor Island, San Diego
          2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• David Masury
            • Oct 2004

Sounds like you have the adjustment too tight, the pawl is not fully engaging the notch... loosen the adjustment two notches or so, look into the transmission and engage forward, you will see where things move and how the too tight situation makes it so that the transmission is not fully engaged.

It will slip

Ask me how I know this....

David

Comment

• Kemp Dawson
              • Mar 2005

I have the manual and need to look at again. Unfortunately like all sailboats, not enough room to get my eyes directly over the gears without a mirror to verify things. I will go back to where I started then disconnect the cable to see if the cable is leading to the forward detent resistance. I just don't want to damage a fine engine.

Comment

• thatch
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2009

Changing my boat from tiller to wheel steering necessitated a 5' longer shift cable with a couple of added bends. Surprisingly, the new cable actually shifted easier than the older shorter cable. As others have said, it would be a good idea to check your cable condition first.
                Tom

Comment

• jpian0923
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

Mirrors are good but A video camera is gold. Reach in with the camera and replay it a thousand times if you want.

Trust me, It's the forward adjusting collar.

read this:
                  Last edited by jpian0923; 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM.
                  "Jim"
                  S/V "Ahoi"
                  1967 Islander 29
                  Harbor Island, San Diego
                  2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Is this a new problem? I mean, was it always difficult to shift into forward, and you finally decided to see if you could do something about it? Or is it something that cropped up recently?
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Kemp Dawson
                      • Mar 2005

It was always difficult and somebody said you can adjust that so I got the manual and here I am going back to square one.
                      Jim thanks for the link on the forward adjusting collar. I am going to buy a new cable just in case too.
                      Last edited by Kemp Dawson; 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X