X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobbyBobby
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2019

Missing Image of Old Ruster (pun intended)

sorry here are photos of my working engines' rusty side.
    On one photo you san see screwdriver blade inserted in between engine and layer of rust. Scary.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ernst
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ernst View Post
      I see what you're sayin...

Will give it a try. I will very closely look at the fittings that are on the motor and for that I have to take them out. I figured that I might as well have a replacement set available once I have all that out. Maybe that is the problem but I hope that at least the new one is OK. I suppose one could be bad but what are the chances two are??
      OK, I think I can say that the problem is solved. I replaced the elbow. I had also bought the Tee but it was not easy to remove the two sensors on it so I thought I should take things one at a time. This was already two weeks ago. I could not see anything wrong with the old one but I left the new one in, no reason to take a chance when the part costs $5.-. I have to say that I probably tightened the new elbow a bit more than the old one but I don't know if that made the difference?

The first impression was good but I did not want to declare victory without actually using the motor.

The last two days provided this opportunity. I went sailing yesterday and today (anchoring over night) and used the motor as usual. Overall, maybe a good hour and a half of motoring in realistic conditions.

I am happy to report that not a drop of coolant was visible and, more importantly, the level of coolant in the reservoir was identical after the trip to what it was before.

So, it seems that FINALLY this nightmare is over and I have a reliable A-4 again!

Thanks to everybody here on the site, and in particular SASTANLEY who pointed out the minuscule drip on the photo of my paint job. I would have NEVER suspected this innocuous-looking elbow!
      Last edited by ernst; 09-07-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

great report...sometimes the devil is in the details. Pics always help and why we ask for them..someone may notice a detail that someone else does not!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ronstory
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2016

Yes, a great result.

Now a curiosity... what is the turnbuckle on the exhaust manifold side of the engine attached to?

Just an idle curious mind.
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Portland, OR

Comment

• ernst
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
            Yes, a great result.

Now a curiosity... what is the turnbuckle on the exhaust manifold side of the engine attached to?

Just an idle curious mind.
            Ah, good question. This is the end of a strut to support the hot part of the (upwards-pointing) exhaust elbow. That was suggested in one of the exhaust threads here on this forum since an unsupported inverted-U might vibrate too much and break.

It has been installed for many years and at some point I expect that the (black iron) pipes will corrode through again and will need to be replaced, but at least I never had any breakage.

Comment

Working...
            X