Found in the Luray Caverns car museum:
    Attached Files
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • alcodiesel
    • Oct 2015

Hey Joe, I bet you were surprised! What a sweet little honey. I wonder is it runs and what year it is. One can see the family resemblance.
    Bill McLean
    '76 Ericson 27
    :valhalla:
    Norfolk, VA

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Funny thing is there is no mention of it going in a boat
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

I think it was in a car or tractor. the water tube is pointing up like it was aimed at a radiator top.
        But it looks like it would have a unmarried transmission. I think timing gears are to the left?? The long snout being a shaft for hand crank.??
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Could be - they made a few car engines WAY back in the day.
          Added a better photo.

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
          I think it was in a car or tractor. the water tube is pointing up like it was aimed at a radiator top.
          But it looks like it would have a unmarried transmission. I think timing gears are to the left?? The long snout being a shaft for hand crank.??
          Attached Files
          Last edited by joe_db; 01-27-2017, 12:33 PM.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Vermonstah
            • Jan 2014

Joe - thanks for posting. I love Luray Caverns. our boys loved it there, as if a set for a Sci-Fi movie or Star Trek episode. The antique car / bike exhibit is great, though we went a few years back before I had the boat so I must have overlooked this A4 predecessor.

Question for you: roll back the clock 100+ years, do you want to explore Luray Caverns with nothing but a kerosene lamp? My family voted against it.

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

I consider myself well traveled in the US and lived in Annapolis also. But I never heard of Luray Caverns. Must see it on my next rip North.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Sure I would. Just have more than one

Originally posted by Vermonstah View Post
                Joe - thanks for posting. I love Luray Caverns. our boys loved it there, as if a set for a Sci-Fi movie or Star Trek episode. The antique car / bike exhibit is great, though we went a few years back before I had the boat so I must have overlooked this A4 predecessor.

Question for you: roll back the clock 100+ years, do you want to explore Luray Caverns with nothing but a kerosene lamp? My family voted against it.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

The Blue Ridge Mountains.......

Bill

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

Was in the Luray caverns several years ago - don't recall the museum, the caverns won the show. Just a beautiful place.
                    Recall well my problems with photography there. The caverns and the points of interest are lit, but dimly. Tried using flash, but that didn't work - close stuff was washed out and the far stuff didn't show up. Finally went to available light. Fortunately, had my DSLR and my favorite lens - a 50mm F1.4 that just soaks up light. Set for aperture priority (wide open), braced myself (and the camera) and fired away - came out great!

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Al, the same here. I am no photog, but I went as a teen on a field trip, my 35mm throw away did not do any justice to the caverns. I took my daughter there about 18 years ago and don't remember much about that trip either.

I remember the 'reflection pool' where it looked the same up as below, and the fried egg is the best as well the natural organ is really interesting...I don't remember much of anything else. Need to re-visit..I'd probably pay a lot more attention now.
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jul 2009

Yeah, I remember the organ thing - didn't hear it play. Lots of wires run to lots of solenoids striking lots of stalactites - many of which were apparently ground down to 'tune' them. Another case of modifying nature to suit someone's desires. Personally, I wouldn't go to an organ concert because it's in a cavern using stalactites. Bring in a pipe organ, a known organist, a classic repertoire, and let me enjoy (or hate) the acoustics of the place - I'm sure it would be unusual!

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                          Fortunately, had my DSLR and my favorite lens - a 50mm F1.4 that just soaks up light. Set for aperture priority (wide open), braced myself (and the camera) and fired away - came out great!
                          Brings back memories.
                          Mitchell Caverns, Essex, CA. Sixty second hand held time exposure, 50mm F1.4 lens, Kodachrome 64 film. A technique for successful hand held time exposures is to brace yourself as Al mentioned, exhale before opening the shutter and do not inhale before the shutter is closed.
                          Attached Files
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Administrator
                            MMI Webmaster
                            • Oct 2004

I remember the claustrophobia walking down that entrance into the cave, with the walls closing in around me. I didn't do well in confined space training as a volunteer firefighter either.

Oh, and I remember the sadness at seeing the ends of both stalagmites and stalagtites broken off by vandals and thieves over the years.

Bill

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

This is the reflecting pool - only a few inches deep. Shot with my phone believe it or not.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by joe_db; 01-30-2017, 11:58 AM.
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                              X