• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Dang dude.
    You are getting years of boat ownership experience compress in to a couple of weeks.
    I have a key ignition. The only time the key is in the slot is when the engine is being cranked or is running.
    Maybe you lucked out and the points or EI were open while the key was left on.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• toddster
      • Aug 2011

The engine warning system is the solution to accidentally leaving the switch on.
      Doesn't help when someone in a crowded cockpit on a sunny day manages to flip on the instrument light switch. Not something easy to notice. At least I didn't.

Comment

• Hymodyne
        • Feb 2013

Whew!

went out this morning and swapped one of the two batteries for freshly recharged one. Engine started right up and ran fine after choke was pushed back in.

test runs in the east bay are next, before heading out.

James

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Bon Voyage. If anybody deserves it's you. Bet it will go off without a hitch.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Hymodyne
            • Feb 2013

Back in Bivalve

We pulled out of the marina in Chester yesterday around 8:30 am, sailed until around 8:45 last evening, when we sheltered from an oncoming storm for the night. We motor sailed about 7 hours total; we would have used the engine more, but I discovered not long after we headed out that the alternator was not working. During the intervals when we would motorsail, I would regularly go below and check the level of the batteries, watching them go down and switching to a second battery during the late afternoon. The engine , with the exception of the alternator, performed admirably. Quick starting, quiet running at low speeds and enough power to push us along at 6-7 knots without straining.

My thanks and gratitude to all of the kind folks who contributed, suggested, and advised, it was appreciated. Props to Don and Bill for this super site.

James

James

Comment

• Vermonstah
              • Jan 2014

Very happy for you. Hope your A4 repays your dedication with years of reliable service.

Comment

Working...
              X