X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterMulhern
    • May 2007

Oil Pressure Gauge Maxed Out

My A4 starts easily, runs smoothly, and maintains a steady 160 degree temperature. I had a lot of trouble getting to this relatively happy place, thanks to a broken cooling system and a sticky valve, so I should be well contented. But there is one fly in my ointment.

As soon as I turn the ingnition switch to on, the oil pressure needle buries itself on the far right side of the dial giving me a reading of about 90 psi. It does this even before I crank the engine, so I'm assuming that the thing is telling me lies. But I'm also nervous about running the engine with no information regarding my oil pressure.

My boat is a 1977 Ericson 32 and my access to the back of the engine is terrible. I'm not sure I can see, let alone reach, the oil pressure sending unit. So far I haven't even been able to identify the sending unit with any confidence. As a result, I haven't yet tried to connect another guage directly to the block.

I've been assuming that if the problem were a fault in the wiring between the sending unit and the guage my pressure would read 0 rather than 90. Should I try replacing the guage in the cockpit? In case I have to work on the sending unit, does anyone have any pictures, diagrams or advice which might help me identify it by feel with both arms wrapped around the engine and my cheek pressed against the manifold? Finally, what might cause my oil pressure guage to fail in this way? Is the failure symptomatic of something worse?

As always, thanks for the help. Without this forum owning an A4 would be impractical. With this forum for backup, owning an A4 is both cost effective and fun.
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Here's a photo showing the location of the oil sending unit:

If the needle is pegging right away, you probably have either a bad sending unit or a short in the connection somewhere. IIRC, the oil gauge has a lead from the sending unit, a hot lead to 12v and a ground. Start by disconnecting everything and see if the gauge goes back to zero. Then hook everything up making certain you have good connections -- a good ground connection is vital. If it still pegs, check the sending unit with a multimeter set to 1000X ohms. I'm pretty sure you should have zero continuity with the engine off, and then as the oil pressure pushes against the internal workings of the sending unit the resistance should decrease. If the multimeter pegs showing no resistance, the unit would be bad.

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

My word, Baltimore Sailor!! I never realized until I saw your neat picture
      that your engine is one that we rebuilt in MMI approximately 15 years ago.
      At that time, I was installing those little brass plates on the flywheel
      cover.

Don

Comment

Working...
      X