X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beckeresq
    • Jan 2007

Need A4 Mechanic Near Herrington Harbor, MD

I've run out of time. 1974 Sabre 28 was purchased in January, and lots of maintenance/upgrades have been made to A4, but last weekend the engine would not continue to run. I'm pretty certain it's a carb problem. Local mechanics are busy commissioning regular customers, and I need to find a reliable and reasonable A4 mechanic to deal with the issue. Assuming it's the carb, it can be swapped or cleaned/rebuilt. The engine starts and runs briefly with starter fluid, and the electric fuel pump seems to appears to be working OK. I am 250 miles away, and a family emergency complicates matters.

Suggestions appreciated.
  • JimG
    • Mar 2005

If the boat has to operational on your return, I guess ou have no choice but to hire a mechanic.

Otherwise, confirm whether you're actually getting fuel to the carb (disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if there's flow). Then, depending on the "time vs. money" equation, replace the carb (a new card isn't much more expensive than an hour or two of mechanic) or clean the jets. Except for the lead time to get a part, either job might take fifteen minutes.
    S/V Latis
    Brookings, OR
    Ranger 33

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

Don is out of the office today, but he usually refers people in your general area to Will Sibley of Sibley Marine Services. Will lives and works in Shadyside, MD. You can email him at: shadyside1190@comcast.net. His phone number is (301) 261-9404.

Hope this helps.

Bill
      Last edited by Administrator; 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• gpd955
        • Apr 2006

Had the same problem in December. It was the jets. Took about 1/2 hour to remove and clean and all is well now!
        Jack Manning
        S/V Victim of Fate
        Atlantic City, NJ

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Good for you, Jim; this was/is good advice. I had to be out of the office yesterday, and I'm glad you weighed in. Hopefully, between your advice and that of my friend Bill's, Mr. Becker should be well on his way by now.

Don

Comment

• Beckeresq
            • Jan 2007

Will Sibley to the Rescue

Thanks to all. Will Sibley at Sibley Marine Services is responding to the problem. Again, thanks very much.

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2006

Solomons Island

If it's not too far from you, Billy, the mechanic at Zahnisers in Solomons does very good Atomic Four work. Mention my name, you'll get a good seat.

Comment

Working...
              X