X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevinstone
    • Dec 2014

Restarting

Our engine starts fine in the morning. Runs great for hours or all day. If I shut down at a fuel dock or at a lock it does not want to restart. I assumed coil so I replaced that. Still problem. I cleaned carb. Still problem. Any thoughts? Plugs look fine. I replaced plug wires tonight but have not tested.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Are you using any choke on restart?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Kevinstone
      • Dec 2014

No never needs it when warm

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

A good running A-4 should be hard to start warm without the choke or the carb is set up to rich. Any engine with an updraft style carb should be hesitant to start once warm or cold without a bit of choke.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Kevinstone
          • Dec 2014

Thanks Dave, I cleaned up all ignition connections this morning. Our engine has purred and started easy for several Years. I hate to change too many things at once but I may give your tip a try if it’s not resolved

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Next time you try and start it, check the spark first and see how that is.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Kevinstone
              • Dec 2014

This morning I decide to inspect distributor inside. Found weights rusty and stuff to move. Cleaned up now and well lubed. I’ll see if that changes the issue

Comment

• Kevinstone
                • Dec 2014

Actually found one broken spring and one weak spring on the advance mechanism. How to fix?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  • Jan 2007

I think new springs are available from our host if not I got a set from Indigo some years back. Do replace both.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Kevinstone View Post
                    Actually found one broken spring and one weak spring on the advance mechanism. How to fix?
                    I've had this problem (sticky weights)..Once the engine stalled it was hard to fire up and would only run with lots of throttle...good catch..let's hope that is the (a) fix. And, good mindset to change one thing at a time..too many at once and you never know what was broken.
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Kevinstone
                      • Dec 2014

Is it possible to change those springs without disassembling the distributor? Can I just wiggle a new ones in the position?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        • Jan 2007

Yes they can be slid on carefully. Just be careful not to stretch them at all. Both the tension of the spring and the length determine the "advance curve" and how the engine performs. Very important.

Be sure the sliding surfaces and the pins in those slots and where the weights slide are all clean and lubed. also be sure the counter shaft and the dist shaft rotate on each other freely and are also lubed.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Kevinstone
                          • Dec 2014

Install the new springs just now. It definitely change the timing. Yeah she was probably creeping up on us for some time with the other springs going bad. Thanks for all the help guys. I will re-time the engine tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X