X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffmedic
    • Sep 2009

engine not running

Before I begin let me prface this by saying thart I am no mechanic, but I am learning as I go.
    I just replaced the fuel pump, changing from the original mechanical pump to an electronic pump. Now I am having issues getting the engine to run. It will fire and run for about 5 seconds then shut down, after that it wont statrt at all until it sits for a bit. I am guessing that I am still having some sort of fuel issue but am not sure where the problem lies.
    Coukl itbe a carbeurator issue or somethin completely different?
    ffmedic - "Exodus" 1973 Ranger 30
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

If the engine was running good before the switchover, I wouldn't look to the carb first. It sounds like a fuel starvation issue, and since you just replaced the thing that sends fuel to the carb, I'd focus on that.

Have you pulled the fuel line off the carb to make sure the flow from the new pump is good? It sounds like the engine is running just long enough to burn what's in the carb and then dying.

Some other basic questions (forgive me):

Did you get the oil sensor switch for the new electric pump? Is it wired correctly?

Did you get the plate to cover the place on the engine where the mechanical pump was attached? (I have NO idea what would happen if that was left open, but it would probably not be good.)

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

BS, I think that we covered the 'cover plate' issue with ffmedic regarding the switch from mech to elec. fuel pump in another thread he started, but it is a good question.

ffmedic, did you get the block off plate?

Do you know if the new elec. pump keeps clicking and providing fuel to the motor?

Lot's of Q's...we'll help get her going again!
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• jhwelch
        • Dec 2005

After doing that carb. work did you remember to open the valve from the tank? (Guess
        what happened to me once or twice).

Comment

• ffmedic
          • Sep 2009

I did get the blocking plate and I do have good fuel flow from the new pump. The engine has never run well since I bought the boat. I decided to pull the carburetor apart when I did I was shocked to see just how dirty and plugged up everything was. Should hopefully have everything back together tomorrow and I am hoping that this will be the last of the issues.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Comment

• Concord
            • Jun 2008

Fuel Filter

We had fuel issues when I became partners in Concord, my partner had preplaced the fuel tank with a cross linked Polypro tank a few years earlier and the sintered brass polishing filter would clog fairly frequently. Usually at a bad time! One of our first projects after diagnosing and repairing a fuel issue we added a Racor fuel filter. It has been 3 years and have not had fuel issue since. We replaced the filter element this year and I was amazed at what we got out of filter.

If you have not put one in I would make it a priority or you will become an expert at Carb maintenance.

Product No. - FPMP_05.1_349
            Racor gasoline fuel filter/water separator
            Price - $105.00 Add this Item

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

As recommended by Don Moyer, it is a good idea to insert a outboard
              motor type squeeze bulb in line with the electric fuel pump and between
              the pump and the tank.
              Once having done this , it is also a good idea
              to pump a pint or so of fuel thru the fuel line by removing the main
              passage plug on the rear facing side of the carburetor. ( be careful not
              to drop the plug in the bilge as it is unrecoverable. Put a cloth underneath
              prior to removing and reinstalling it.
              The bleeding should
              remove any air from the system as well as clean out any crud.

Regards

Art

Comment

• jacques debauche
                • Nov 2009

Squeeze bulb

If you put a squeeze bulb in the fuel line, don't let the Coast Guard or any marine surveyors see it: it is very illegal as well as being unsafe. While we are at it, the same goes for any "see-through" in-line gas filter, or any Racor-type filter with a transparent bowl (they are meant for diesel or outboard use, not gasoline inboard).

Comment

• rheaton
                  • Aug 2005

I dropped my carb bowl plug in my bildge. Was able to retreive it with a magnet.

Comment

• Figment
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jacques debauche View Post
                    If you put a squeeze bulb in the fuel line, don't let the Coast Guard or any marine surveyors see it: it is very illegal as well as being unsafe.
                    Really?

Reference, please.

Comment

• ffmedic
                      • Sep 2009

Thanks everybody for the great info. I got the carb put back together and reinstalled. Motor fires right up and runs like a champ now.
                      Maybe now I can get out and enjoy the boat instead of always working on it.

Comment

• David Masury
                        • Oct 2004

Maybe now I can get out and enjoy the boat instead of always working on it.
                        I cannot tell you how many times either I have said this or heard someone else say it...

David

Comment

Working...
                        X