X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bayway27
    • Jul 2007

Carb mating gasket

When replacing the carb should a new gasket be used? Will not replacing the gasket result in rough idling due to a possible vacuum leak?
  • adab1402
    • Mar 2007

depends

new is always better ,you can make your own gasket out of cardboard or cork ,or simply use a bit of gasket glue permatex

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Spend the $$ and put in a new gasket.

When it comes to the carb...
      ...better safe than sorry!
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Gasket procedure not recomended

Gentlemen I have had good luck replacing gaskets and have not had a leak that I have noticed yet, for what it is worth.
        First I am very careful saparating the gasket from the sealing surfaces. Then I wipe the gadsket clean and inspect for rough spots. After drying the gasket with a clean rag I spray both sides liberally with WD-40, set in a pan while wet and let it warm in the sun or a warm oven while keeping the gasket wet with the WD-40. After it has set for a while the gasket seems to swell up a little and deffinately does a reasonable job of resealing. I have done this with my carb-bowl gasket and manifold gaskets many ,many times. This method is good when you are going to be removing&replacing as you are testing new jets or parts.
        If you are fixing a problem go for the new gasket.
        If you are using a sealer around the carburator assembly don't allow anything to leak out a drip into the carb as it could be diasastrous.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
        X