X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

The survey says 21 gallons..however, that info came from some other source. I think it is 18 gallons.

I'll check and see if my buddy kept any of his outboard gear from his C-25. I like that better than trying to seal up a jerry can.

I am trying to remember this is a sailboat, but I also don't want it turning into Gilligan's Island either..
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
      I am trying to remember this is a sailboat, but I also don't want it turning into Gilligan's Island either..
      Hmmmm . . . . Mary Ann!
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Whoa!

Unfortunately, Neil, it will be two dudes on the boat.

it would be nice to have MaryAnn as a stowaway!
        -Shawn
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• CalebD
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I know that this is a delivery and not a pleasure cruise but I am thinking about having a working spinnaker on board for use, just in case.
          Even a smallish spinnaker would up your boat speed in light winds with a southern component. Yes, they can be a little trickier to fly than white sails and I'd probably prefer to motor, if I could. If I couldn't motor then I'd try to fly the spin to get somewhere just a little bit faster.

Sounds like a fun delivery none the less abut you are the right man for the job for many reasons.
          Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
          A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Caleb..We've discussed that too. Spencer says "I have a Lightning kite", which would be hardly worth the trouble. Additionally, I do not know if the boat has proper spin gear. Hauling sheets & a kite is easy, but then the topping lift component (or a 4th halyard??) and dragging a spin pole down are considerations that right now are a little too complex. I have full spin gear on TA..I suppose we can lash the pole to the roof of the minivan.

I have confirmed that there is an extra halyard, a whisker pole and another headsail on board, so we can at least set up double headsails.

The wind forecast has lightened up, so I may reconsider, since we all know if the engine goes kaput, 100 NM can be a long way under sail, and then I'd be kicking myself, "Too bad I left all the spin gear on my boat."
            Last edited by sastanley; 04-24-2013, 02:53 PM.
            -Shawn
            sigpic

Comment

• PT26
              • Mar 2012

Hi Shawn,
              If you haven't left Norfolk yet... You can pump the fuel out and get rid of it at Tidewater Yacht Marina, Hospital Point
              They let us grab a slip by the fuel dock to make some repair and purchase parts at the ships store, pump the tank and re fuel

Have a safe trip
              Paul
              S/V PT26
              1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Paul, we do not leave until Saturday 27th. That is great info..I'll have to look it up related to Willoughby. Might be worth the headache.

Latest discussion with the new boat owner is we are taking the spinnaker and spin gear..thanks for stirring the pot Caleb!
                Last edited by sastanley; 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM.
                -Shawn
                sigpic

Comment

• PT26
                  • Mar 2012

Hi Shawn,
                  If they don't have the facilities at Willoughby Spit in the marina, Hospital Point is South approx 8 or 9 miles - ICW mile 0. and SW of red "36"
                  IIRC, we coughed and burped water when we ran our A4 from Solomans to Norfolk we used an oil change pump to pull the fuel and water out.
                  You may want to get it done you will more than likely have to go to weather at one point during the trip.
                  Looks like good sailing weather Saturday with South winds switching to the west. rain on Sunday unless you are North of Hampton.
                  Paul
                  S/V PT26
                  1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• Ajax
                    • Jul 2011

Shawn-

CBOFS is temporarily offline, but L-36 is showing light, southerly breezes for the weekend. Perfect spinnaker weather, unless you really want to motor for 100 miles.

I know that you and the wife have double-handed your kite on TA. I'd bring the stuff if I were you.

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                      • Mar 2011

Eastern shore

Shawn.
                      I know you already have everything planned and well considered for your delivery run.
                      If for any reason you find yourself getting hung out on the eastern shore and need a hand just give me a shout.

I already know though, your gonna do just fine and you should have the tide with you most of the day.

Should be a beautiful day, enjoy it.
                      Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
                      1973 Pearson 33
                      1967 Bristol 27
                      sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Thanks everyone..appreciate the help and suggestions...it takes a village.

Ajax, I have the roof rack on the car to go get the spin gear (& 12' pole) today after work.

It turns out we may run into Dan (Marian Claire) while we are sailing north...a day or two ago, he was anchored off the marina where the boat is in Willoughby Bay.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• CalebD
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                          Latest discussion with the new boat owner is we are taking the spinnaker and spin gear..thanks for stirring the pot Caleb!
                          I'm always happy when I am stirring the pot. You would be kicking yourself if you ended up with perfect weather and wind for the spinnaker and you did not have it along. You have a bunch of miles to cover.

I've been along for a few really fun spinnaker rides on the Chessy on my friends 32' Endeavor based around Annapolis. It is a bit more work but the miles can ride by pretty quickly.
                          Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                          A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Rod Worrell
                            • Oct 2004

GasTank Capacity

Happened to catch your trail regarding C30 delivery this week end. You may be surprised at running out of gas as you motor along, thinking the 18 or more gallons of gas in the tank should be enough for 90 miles at less than full throttle. This happened to us on the first long distance motor journey with our '79 C30, #1337. The official "stamped" on the mfg's label of 20 gallons turns out to be only 14 real gallons! Our story had a good ending, but you might want to measure the tank's physical size and convert to gallons to be sure.

Rod Worrell
                            S/V Dixie, TRBS #1337

Comment

• Marian Claire
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2007

Shawn we may end up making Solomons about the same time. Hijack!!! I realize that the area I am posting about my trip is not open to the general forum. Members may have to join the Chesapeake users group to see the thread. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4980
                              Thought this would be a good place to post this. Thanks. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• sastanley
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2008

Alright Dan!! Hope to see you...no problem with the hijack!

Rod, thanks for your fisrt post to the forum even though you are a seasoned veteran here! The survey says 21 gallons (don't believe it.) This boat is a '76 #355, one year older than mine. My boat had an 18 gallon tank, that had the wrong fuel gauge sender, so its reported level was never correct anyway (since been replaced with wonderful translucent poly Moeller of a known 18 gallons.) So, I completely understand the issues with trying to guess how much range we have. I am calculating on one gallon per hour of consumption.

I don't really like to carry fuel on deck, but if the weather forecast is good enough, we may lash 10 additional gallons to give us freedom to keep our schedule..as far as I know there is no fuel stop north of Reedville, VA, unless we go several miles up the Potomac River to a place like Point Lookout Marina.

We head to Norfolk later this afternoon.
                                Last edited by sastanley; 04-26-2013, 09:13 AM.
                                -Shawn
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X