• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

sailing

Went sailing today (singlehanded)..probably for the last time this year!

The weather here in the mid-Atlantic was awesome.

Changed the oil & completed the winterization today too.

Here's a shot beating up the Patuxent..it was puffy...I probably had too much sail up, but I didn't care.

The engine ran flawlessly in & out of the creek. 11.45 volts at the coil (+) with the 1.3 ohm resistor.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sastanley; 12-31-2011, 08:44 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Good for you

Nice Shawn. Wish I could keep going like you. It's about 42 F here and raining today.....could be snapping cold tomorrow...who knows.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

It was a great day, and I started thinking about going sailing today when I saw the forecast on about Wednesday. However, I decided this was it, and the boat is officially put away for winter now. I took the sails off the boat and brought them home for inspection and cleaning.

Tomorrow I am going to my friend's house to help him prep his Mumm 30 (on a trailer in his driveway) for Key West Race Week which starts in two weeks. It will hopefully be warmer there than it is here, cuz I'll be the pointy end guy blocking all the waves.

I'll be on Rhumb Punch, if anyone wants to follow the results. This is my first year back (including my wife who will be sailing with us as well) after 3 years due to my shoulder surgeries.

edit - oops..I keep forgetting that Mumm 30's are called Farr 30's now, so look for the Farr 30 class results if interested.
      Last edited by sastanley; 12-31-2011, 07:41 PM.
      -Shawn
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

What is that track you have on your port handrail?

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I'll jump in because he might already be on his way to the Keys or maybe crying in his beer over the Redskins.

The cabintop track is commonly used on older Catalina 30's for a barberhauler. The racing sorts don't care much for the jib sheeting angle with the car on the gunnel so they use an additional line from the jib clew to a car on this inboard track and back to the cockpit to cheat the angle inboard. The newer boats have inboard tracks on the lower side deck instead.

Us beer cruisers don't give a [insert preferred feces synonym here]. We do what we can with what we've got, then sit back and relax.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Laker
            • Sep 2010

I would be uncomfortable imposing a barber haul load to that teak fitting.

I am envious of those who sailed today ; Hat is off to you.
            1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

It's an optical illusion. The track is actually bolted to the deck. The lens position of the camera makes it deceiving.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Big storm headed our way Shawn...at least 4 months to go before put in!

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Hi everyone...Happy New Year...that is a cell phone pic, so Neil is correct related to the optical illusion. It was actually a little bit puffy, so I barely had the chance to snap some quick cell phone pics as the rail was getting close to buried as opposed to having a good camera on board....but a simply awesome day of sailing!

I don't get to Florida until Jan 15, so I am still around to hassle everyone for a few more days!

67 - sorry for the bad news..we had another great weather day here working on my buddy's Farr30 in his driveway (on a trailer) for prepping.

good times!

edit - P.S.. Neil, you are correct also related to the Deadskins...crying in my beer(s) for sure!
                  Last edited by sastanley; 01-01-2012, 11:39 PM. Reason: dumb Redskins
                  -Shawn
                  sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

If my boat were in the water, I probably would have gone out for a sail myself today. Couldn't believe how beautiful and spring-like it was today!

Instead, I spent the day on a nice little metal-working project. Did a little welding and such, which I have not done in a good long time. It was fun too, but sailing would have been nice.
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• CalebD
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Good for you Shawn.

The benefits of living on the Chessy; sailing in January. Hope you guys do well in the Farr 30' down in Key West and have some fun.
                      If our boat was not on the hard and not missing a propeller shaft I could have sailed up here today. Lows were in the high 40F's with highs to mid 50's. Balmy for NY.
                      I've thought about installing some tracks to use for a Barber hauler on our boat while racing. So far it's just an idea. Nice to see one implementation done by a mfr. like Catalina.

Happy 2012 Afourians!
                      Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                      A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Caleb, for the record..I've never used that track. I've even thought about removing it to eliminate holes thru the deck if/when I paint/re-nonskid the deck. My current genoa track is out on the toe rail. I have thought about pulling that "barberhauler" track and moving it onto the deck just outside the windows to give me a couple more degrees of pointing like the newer C-30's...but then I'd just be adding the same number of holes into the deck I eliminated from the cabin... - I still like a good performer fully aware she is a cruising boat.

On the Farr30, even though the boat already has non-overlapping headsails there are inhaulers built into the boat that the jib trimmers control from the cockpit.

By the way - You should have a New Year's present inbound via UPS. I did not bother to clean it since you said you had equipment to accomplish that part of it.
                        Last edited by sastanley; 01-01-2012, 11:51 PM.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• CalebD
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

I do love New Year's presents!

Thanks Shawn.
                          I'm more curious about the Barber hauler effect. I've played with it using my body weight when conditions are light. I'd also think an inboard track on the deck would be preferable to one on top of the coach house roof or dog house. It is still just an idea I'm mulling over for my boat.
                          The Farr 30' sounds like a racing machine. I do hope you guys do well and have fun.
                          Shawn has been nice enough to forward his 12" x 7" prop to me so I can use it when I install our new prop shaft. I never would have guessed that we were over-propped with a 13" x 8" if not for you people on this forum. Many of you have helped me a lot, so thanks for that.
                          Happy New Year to all Afourians.
                          Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                          A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Ajax
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                            Hi everyone...Happy New Year...that is a cell phone pic, so Neil is correct related to the optical illusion. It was actually a little bit puffy, so I barely had the chance to snap some quick cell phone pics as the rail was getting close to buried as opposed to having a good camera on board....but a simply awesome day of sailing!

I don't get to Florida until Jan 15, so I am still around to hassle everyone for a few more days!

67 - sorry for the bad news..we had another great weather day here working on my buddy's Farr30 in his driveway (on a trailer) for prepping.

good times!

edit - P.S.. Neil, you are correct also related to the Deadskins...crying in my beer(s) for sure!
                            You must cry an awful lot then.

My P30 has tracks like that, only further forward. I definitely use them, especially with my smaller headsails. I've also recently learned that using my spinnaker twings on my genoa, to close the leech pays benefits too.

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Ajax, The newer C-30's have inboard tracks, just below the windows. Except for the fact that they will become toe busters there, they do get a couple more degrees of pointing.

I am not sure it is worth the expense on this particular boat for a pair of tracks costing several hundred dollars. For experimenting purposes, I might just take the existing track from on the cabin top (which is not in the correct place to be useful for any of the sails on the boat) and move it inboard of the current 155% headsail's lead location to see if it helps. I do some old T-Track laying around..I may drag it down to the boat too..Adding new holes is better than removing old ones and fillng them too.
                              -Shawn
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X