X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fstued
    • Jan 2014

poor prop engagement?

I recently wrapped a line around my prop shaft which as you would expect stalled the motor. I got towed since I was right off the dock and dove on it the next day to clear it, 4 wrapped on the shaft. I didn't think after clearing it there would be any problems. Wrong!
    I took the boat out a few days latter Reverse worked great. I went to forward and at low RPMs, 1000 no problem but when I pushed it up to 1500 or 2000 the boat had no go I would only motor along at about 2.5 kn usually at 1500 I could hold 5 to 6kn no problem.
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

My first thought is that there's some line still on the shaft that was missed on your dive under. Time for another look perhaps. I've heard that this can sometimes damage the cutless bearing so you might want to have a look at that also.
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

I'd check the prop itself for damage incase it got bent. And perhaps the bad luck bug bit and you sucked up another something. Since it works in reverse it should also work going forward. If you are turning the same RPM's the prop should be transferring the same power to move forward unless something is amiss.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Is the transmission slipping? Maybe high engine RPM but low shaft RPM?
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
        X