X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregsails
    • Sep 2013

Prop shaft coupler

So, I had my engine out last year and I haven't been happy with my alignment since. So a couple of days ago I got the pros in to do the alignment. Tried it on the dock and it looked way better. Last night decided to go for a sail and the key fell out of the shaft keyway. Long story after, he said hedidn't touch it. Whatever! I want to go sailing. Does anyone know, do I have to remove the drive coupler off the engine to get the key back in place? Wanting to pull the shaft back and try to insert it in one piece.
    Thanks for your advice
    Greg
    Attached Files
  • sunnnnseeeker
    • Apr 2008

if it fell out for sure you can slide it back in. looks like enough key slot exposed to get the key in. the question is, is the key still good? the key should be tight and not sliding around, especially with the locking bolt snug on the key. is the locking nut loose?

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Warning: That should not come apart easily.
      I have fixed situations like this by taking a mallet underwater and whacking the prop shaft back into the coupling on a temporary basis, but enough reversing and it would come back apart. The shaft aligner "pro" is correct, usually one does not take the key out to do this job. I do feel like there is an issue he should have seen and did not.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Easy Rider
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2007

Looking at the way the safety wire in the nut has turned to the left and loosened might be an indication that the nut loosened on its own possibly by the keyway slug being too loose to begin with. Just a thought.
        Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Oops, good eye Chuck!!!

Chuck, good eye . I am surprised I did not notice that as I worked on a lot of helical generating equipment in which we used both left and right handed lock down fasteners.

Greg, unless the retaining bolt had the retaining wire installed IMPROPERLY someone did indeed loosen it as the wire is distorted and holding in the wrong direction, a bad thing. If the mechanic had to slide the coupling back he probably did loosen it and then not tighten it and REWIRE in the other direction to retain the set screw. That keyway should not be able to slide when properly fastened and it must have before this particular episode.
          Perhaps he did tighten but not with the keyway under it as it should be.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• gregsails
            • Sep 2013

Thanks

They took no responsibility. It's not like the mechanic is going to admit to missing something. I just fixed it myself and am moving on. Thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X