X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bayou Sailor
    • Sep 2020

Electric fuel pump pressure

Margarita has had an electric fuel pump since I bought her. If memory serves me correct, when I first rebuilt the carb and got her running, when I turn on the pump you could hear it pump a few times and then the pressure was built up and it would stop pumping. Now it rapidly pumps for a couple seconds and then slows down but does not stop. I would think that that means I have a leak somewhere after the fuel pump. Sound correct???
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

If you had a leak after the fuel pump you would see leaking or leaking out of the carb. It is probably continuously running because the internal check valve is leaking so the pump does not hold the pressure as it did before. This leaked fuel just goes back to the tank until "the low pressure activation" of the pump kicks in and runs slowly as the fuel leaks back. Not uncommon in older electric pulse style pumps.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Bayou Sailor
      • Sep 2020

Thanks Dave

After a long inspection yesterday (2 or 3 beers worth), I could not find any leaks. I checked everywhere, so what you are saying makes perfect sense. In fact my thought was that the pump was failing. I think I will get another one to keep on the boat just in case. Thanks again!!

Comment

• Easy Rider
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2007

Me thinks it would be better to install the new, to be bought pump, and keep the old one for a spare. Not sure if I would even trust the old one as a spare.
        Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• TimBSmith
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2020

Fuel pump issues....relating my experience...

Last season I went through a grand tour of fuel line issues below the valve that feeds fuel first to my racor filter then eventually to the carb.

The best tool I had in this diagnosis was my fuel pressure guage.

It was also the source of vapor lock in the system because it had been fitted with clamps and hose diameters that were not stepped down correctly and were hard to seal.

I found it important to work through the fittings from the racor all the way to the pump. I pulled everything apart.

First found a racor filter that was every so slightly loosened.

Then found a couple of clamps that needed replacing and some hoses that could be seated better at the gauge and at the electronic fuel pump.

The gauge helped me test and retest improved connections. Priming the system was a delicate trick and thankfully the Facet pump was pretty effective clearing the line when there was enough of head of fuel coming through the racor.

I repeatedly tested facet pump flow bypassing the OPSS. There is a ball and valve in the pump that does pressure regulation. That said, I did not have any trouble testing pump function and getting a feel for the rattle and vibration that the functioning facet makes when doing its job.

Best with your trouble shooting. I too learned that having a spare pump on board along with a clear understanding how to remount it would be important for any longer distance sailing.
          Tim Smith
          Oasis
          Pearson 30
          1974, Number 572
          Boston, MA USA

Comment

Working...
          X