X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laker
    • Sep 2010

Fuel (carb?) problems ...

A week or so back my A Four abruptly became choke dependent. No warning signs , just started it up one day and the engine would not run without 3/4 to full choke. After a short time on choke the engine surged , sputtered , and died. I executed a very nice "dead stick" landing ; sailed right into my slip under jib , thank you.

Yesterday I started by replacing the fuel filter. (Easy thing first.) I tried blowing air thru the old one - it seemed tight. I was fairly sure that I had the cure - but no , same behavior. I dropped the sediment bowl before starting , it was full and contained nothing suspicious. Then I dumped a pint of Sea Foam into the tank , started the engine and sprayed carb cleaner repeatedly into the throat. After about 20 minutes of running time I was able to ease off most of the choke. At the 1/2 hour mark I was able to run without choke on high idle , but the engine died if I advanced the throttle.

All in all , I made progress. I went from sputtering and dying to a 1/2 hour run with less and less choke during that time , much of that time under load. While I am not quite at full function , it seems that I barking up the right tree. I do not think that the problem is in the fuel pump (mechanical) , because I did nothing which would have improved that function. All this leads me to think that the issue is one of gummed up carburetor. Could a problem of this type occur as abruptly as was my experience?

Aside from more running time in the slip , where do I go from here?

Hoping to finish the Lake Michigan season without major repairs , Laker.
    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Sounds like a partial blockage of the main jet in the carburetor. If you have the adjustable main jet, you can try running it in (count the turns) and out a few times. If you have the fixed jet, you can remove the plug then run a fine wire through the jet. Catch the fuel that will come out - this will empty the carb bowl.

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Laker View Post
      Hoping to finish the Lake Michigan season without major repairs
      Laker-
      You can remove the carb and give it a very thorough cleaning in an hour or two.
      That's not major.
      Aside from doing that, have you tried re-adjusting the idle mixture?
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

I agree that removing and cleaning a carb sounds much more scary than it really is.

For good measure, you've checked the choke cable attachment/linkage?
        Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Laker
          • Sep 2010

Choke cable - yes , normal. I have not reset the idle mixture ; I will give that a try.
          1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• capnward
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2012

Sounds like a classic case of 'gummed up carburetor.' This kind of problem can definitely occur abruptly. With an engine like ours, you have to be comfortable with carburetor removal and cleaning, and the jets if they are blocked. It is in my experience the major source of problems with the A4. Do that, and you should be good to go. Make sure the little holes in the throat (idle ports) are clear, and the idle screw is 1 turn out from the seat. I agree with Al; You may be able to fix it by turning the adjustable main jet (if you have one) in to the seat and back out 1 and 1/2 turns. Or if you have a fixed main jet, remove and clean it. If that doesn't work you need to remove and open the carb. I had symptoms similar to yours once, and discovered the idle jet had something in it. Changing the inline filter at the same time is a good move. Otherwise, do everything you can to ensure your fuel is clean. Use non-ethanol if you can.

Comment

• Laker
              • Sep 2010

I use non-ethenol exclusively.
              1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• HOTFLASH
                • Oct 2004

Non ethanol fuel

Where to you get the non-ethanol gasoline?

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

FYI

I use a steady diet of E10, have for 11 years without a single fuel issue, replaceable cartridge main filter, no polishing filter
                  BUT
                  we've floated a theory in the past that climate may be a factor. You folks in the snow belt may have a different situation than me.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                    I use a steady diet of E10, have for 11 years without a single fuel issue, replaceable cartridge main filter, no polishing filter
                    BUT
                    we've floated a theory in the past that climate may be a factor. You folks in the snow belt may have a different situation than me.
                    I'll bet it's the frequent use of your boat, and resulting fuel turnover. Like you say, it's us folks with more, shall we say annually sporadic use, that have issues with ethanol.
                    Jeff

sigpic
                    S/V Bunny Planet
                    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

You'd lose the bet. My boat sat in the slip for over a year due to the passing of both my parents in 2015 and me being the executor and Trustee for everything. Fuel tank was nearly full the entire time and still is. My boating excursion a couple of weeks ago came off without a hitch, both under power and sail.

Side note:
                      The energy and camaraderie of this forum saved me from going stark raving mad during the worst of times. I'm indebted to all of you.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                        • May 2010

I've been wrong before, and I'm quite sure it will happen again. I'm sorry to hear that Neil -that's just hard and painful, no doubt.

Now that we've gone full thread hijack - Laker, did you blow out the passages in your carb?
                        Jeff

sigpic
                        S/V Bunny Planet
                        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Except for the side note I was trying to suggest ethanol is the go-to scapegoat for almost anything on a gasoline powered boat. We've seen in the past that professional mechanics are particularly guilty of this generalization.

My idle is erratic = ethanol
                          Engine is hard to start = ethanol
                          Engine dies = ethanol
                          Corn flakes stale = ethanol
                          Won't reach full RPM = ethanol
                          Big toe hurts = ethanol

And thanks for the kind words. 2015 sucked to high Heaven. My dog who was my best friend for 17 years passed in November too. I've never celebrated New Year's as much as I did when that stinking year came to a close. We're back on the water though - things are looking better, much better.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Laker
                            • Sep 2010

No thread hijack resentment here at all.

Congratulations to Neil for weathering the storm. That's what strong people do.

As to ethanol , if I were King I would abolish that.*&#?@*** stuff. But , that is a different discussion.

Carb work day is Saturday. I will post results.

Thank you , Laker
                            1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Thanks Laker, such is life. Some days chicken, some days feathers.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                              X