X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianm132
    • Aug 2008

Forward Adjust & Clutch Cable

I am trying to adjust forward properly. I can get good detent. However when I pull throttle up and hold it in place the engine sounds better and seems to perform smoother. I plan to go one more notch on the adjusting collar. Also, I installed a new clutch cable and it keeps slipping out of the bracket that holds it in place on the engine. The bottom bolt on the bracket is very difficult to access. Does anyone have any tips on how to tighten it down so the cable will not slip. Finally, is the cable suppose to be in the bracket itself or the metal "lip" at the end where the "cable" exits go in the bracket.
    Brian C. Morrison
    REKOFA
    Universal Sailing Club
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mark S
    • Sep 2008

Hi Brian.

Originally posted by brianm132 View Post
    However when I pull throttle up and hold it in place the engine sounds better and seems to perform smoother.
    I'm not getting what you mean. Do you mean you hold the shift lever on the engine?

Originally posted by brianm132 View Post
    Finally, is the cable suppose to be in the bracket itself or the metal "lip" at the end where the "cable" exits go in the bracket.
    The bracket should hold and immobilize the sleeve in which the cable slides.

Mark S

Comment

• brianm132
      • Aug 2008

I pull up on the lever on the pedestal in the cockpit. Gotcha on the sleeve as opposed to the lip at the end of the sleeve.
      Thanks.
      Brian C. Morrison
      REKOFA
      Universal Sailing Club
      Baltimore, MD

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

Brian,

You should resist the temptation to pull up and hold pressure on your shifting lever at all costs! This places a continual side-load on the ball bearing on your operating cone (which most of us motor-heads call a "throw-out" bearing). Throw-out bearings are not designed for continuous duty but only for the brief amount of time they are used in actually engaging or disengaging the forward clutch latching mechanism (the forward detent). If an operating cone fails, it requires major disassembly of the engine to replace and access issues sometimes require engine removal to do so.

Don

Comment

• brianm132
          • Aug 2008

Thanks Don. You may recall, that is what I had to do over the winter. I replaced the reversing gear which required removing the engine. Without that bit of advice I probably would be doing it again. With that being said should I adjust the forward detent or just be satisfied with where it is now? It clicks into gear fine.
          Brian C. Morrison
          REKOFA
          Universal Sailing Club
          Baltimore, MD

Comment

• Don Moyer
            • Oct 2004

Brian,

As long as your adjustment keeps the forward clutch assembly from slipping at your hightest power settings there's no need to tighten it further; it would simply make it more difficult to engage the forward. detent.

Don

Comment

Working...
            X