X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat Flecknell
    • Nov 2004

slipping clutch

Don, I have a slipping clutch in forward gear. I can sometimes get 5 knots on flat water but with a strong headwind & waves, I am down to 1.9Kts. If I give it more throttle, it just slips.This gets very stressful going through the buoys with a line up of power boats behind you and rocks all around.
    I have adjusted it as per your instructions. I had to do it a couple of times, due to adjusting the wrong way, more than once. Anyway, with the adjustment as close as possible without forcing it and locking it up,(which I did once), I am all out of adjustment. Your new adjusting collar with the notches closer together might help but I would like to make it through the season without pulling the engine, if possible.
    I recall in one of your threads that it is very rare to have to install new clutch plates. I feel that I am at that point now.
    I have 10W30 oil in it not SAE30...I don't know if that would make a difference.
    Any suggestions?
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Pat,

I'm not sure what you mean by being "all out of adjustment". It sounds to me as though you're set way too tight at this point. Do you still feel a good solid latching force as you move the shifting lever into and out of the forward detent, or are you trying to simply keep the forward clutch assembly engaged by holding the lever forward?

Don

Comment

• Pat Flecknell
      • Nov 2004

Slipping Clutch

Don,
      I still get the forward detent as before and do not have to hold the shifter to keep it in gear. However, I cannot turn the adjusting collar any more to the right and still get the locking pin into a notch. This is what you mean by too tight. If I back off more than this, I get clutch slip all the time.
      (ps. someone has been at this before and broken the original adjusting hole on the collar, lost the pin and replaced it with a bolt with end ground down in the remaining threaded hole.)

Comment

• baileyem
        • Jun 2006

Slipping clutch

Pat
        I had a similar problem on a Pearson Coaster. The shifter seemed to snap into gear and the boat would go forward until I put too much power to her, and then the clutches would slip. I adjusted the clutches and still had the same problem.
        Investigation showed that one end of the shift cable sheath was not being held solidly in place, so when I thought I was shifting, I was not getting a complete shift. Once I fastened the end of the shifting cable sheath solidly into place I no longer had the problem.
        It's worth a look, before you pull the engine.

Mike

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Pat,

If you really have the adjusting collar set just one notch from being up against the clutch plate assembly you would never be able to get the latching mechanism to lock into the forward detent. Therefore, there must be something else that prevents you from rotating the adjusting collar one more notch from the one you're currently in. Are you sure you're in neutral or in the direction of reverse when you're trying to rotate the adjusting collar?

Don

Comment

• Pat Flecknell
            • Nov 2004

slipping clutch

Mike; the shifting cable looked to be in good shape and securely anchored at the engine end. I will try to get a better look at the pedestal end.

Don; I am quite sure all adjustments were done in neutral, although I will double check next time. I had to adjust the linkage to make up for the clutch adjustment, detent was there but required a solid push in and out of forward. After that last adjustment, at anchor, I had to motor back, 14 miles due to no wind. I kept it between 4.5 & 5kts. No clutch slip in flat water.
            No boating this weekend, wife's birthday. I am planning a week on the boat starting the 28th. I will see if the last adjustments hold...or not.
            Thanks

Comment

• Pat Flecknell
              • Nov 2004

clutch ok now

Don, I should have replied sooner. My earlier report on being at the end of adjustment for the clutch was incorrect. After having another go at it, I was able to move the adjusting ring one notch further. I am not sure why it would not move on earlier attempts. However, after the last adjustment, it appears to be holding, even in rough weather. I can now get 6 kts in most weather and that is a big releif. Also, it saved me from pulling the engine this year. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
              X