X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerry creager
    • Apr 2012

Palmer P60 Won't Start

About a month ago the engine was running fine then it just quit. I thought it might be a fuel problem so I rebuilt the carb. Checked the electronic fuel pump and it was pumping fuel. No water in the fuel. Checked to see if I was getting a spark at the plugs. NO SPARK. Replaced the condenser, points and coil still no spark. I have new plug wires but have not installed them yet but I don't think the solution is that simple. The coil says it is for an externial resistor. Looked all over the engine but can't find where it is located. Downloaded picture of a Plamer and it's coil resistor was located on the coil strap. Mine's not located there but it must be somewhere. Could the problem be the resistor?? It's obvious that the problem is electrical but I'm at a loss on where to look next or what steps to follow in checking out the remaining electrical system. Any suggestions will be welcome.

Yes, I'm the same guy that had water in the oil but this time I closed the water intake before I did any cranking.
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Remove the distributor cap and pull the lead out of the center of the cap. While the points are closed turn the key\switch to the on position. Hold the lead from the coil close to ground (the engine) while you flick the points open and let them snap close. A blue white arc is good. Anything less is not as good. This will test the coil and points.

Are you getting 12 volts at coil +?

You may not have an external resistor if the coil has an internal resistor. What is the ohm reading coil + to coil - ?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Jerry, in the days of old hose coils that required a resistor were 8v coils. They were started with 12v (from the starter) for a hotter spark to start and ran on the 8v from the resistor once the starter disengages.

Your coil is probably toasted finally.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
      X