• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • High Hopes
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2008

Gauge Exposure to Weather

After spending $100+ for a tachometer, should I mount it in the cockpit where it will get rained on and exposed to the elements? The crystal LOOKS water proof enough, but I haven't been able to find any recommendations on this issue.
    Last edited by High Hopes; 08-19-2008, 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

If you bought one made for marine use, I'd say you'd be good to go. What good is a tach in the cabin going to do you?

Comment

• High Hopes
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2008

Hi Balt,

I found the spec. It is SAE J-1810. Apparently, this covers a variety of harsh environments, including salt water spray.

I will put the tach in the cockpit.

Steve
      Last edited by High Hopes; 08-21-2008, 12:47 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• High Hopes
        Afourian MVP
        • Feb 2008

FYI, I spoke w/ the manufacturer for the tach gauge. The gauge crystal is waterproof to 7 PSI. The rear of the gauges are not waterproof. One should seal the crystal bezel of the gauge to the panel surface and keep the back of the gauge clean and dry.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

brand? pics?

Hi Steve,
          Would you mind sharing the brand you bought and how you mounted/plan to mount it?

I have a 1977 Catalina 30, and it currently has oil, amps & water, but no tach. I hope to rebuild the instrument cluster some day and add a tach.

Thanks!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• High Hopes
            Afourian MVP
            • Feb 2008

Hi Stan,

It is the smaller one sold by MMI. I already have a 2" hole to mount it, otherwise I would have gotten the one with the arger face. There is no panel to speak of. The tach, the gas gauge, and a few idiot lights are mounted on the side of the cockpit which is exposed to the elements.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X