X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewburyportWags
    • Apr 2007

Broken Aft Block Drain Nipple

A 6" brass nipple had been added to the aft block drain plug on my engine. While performing other repairs this weekend, I noticed some water coming from the area bewteen the pulley below the alternator and the distributor. What I found was that this tube and corroded and had snapped off. About 3/4" of the tube remains in the block and will need to be extracted. The piece that is sticking out appears too corroded to try to wrench out using vice grips. I am considering using an "Easy Out" or "Walton REPS" tool. I was wondering what is inside the block directly in front of the plug? What is the depth of the thread, and will I hit anything inside the block if I drive the extraction tool into the center of the tube? Thanks.

-Mark
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Mark,

You apparently have one of the original galvanized nipples Universal used in the mid to early seventies. By the time they fail like yours did, you can usually use a standard 1/8" pipe tap to clean out the remaining nipple and dress up the threads. If the pipe tap won't start, clean the threads out using a 5/16" drill bit and a pair of pliers, then use the tap.

Don

Comment

• NewburyportWags
      • Apr 2007

Happily, this turned out to be much easier than I was expecting. The nipple was corroded so severely that it fell right out when I tugged on it with a pair of needle nose (that is not usually a good thing, but I was quite happy not to have to drill it out). I had intended to round out the pipe where it had flattened when the nipple broke to allow me to get an extraction tool into it. When I grabbed it, it came right out without any effort. I was able to see the threads on the old nipple all the way around, so I was confident that i got it all. I used a tap to clean up the threads and replaced it with the new brass nipple. Much, much easier than I had feared. Thanks again for your expert advice on all things Atomic.

-Mark

Comment

Working...
      X