Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loki9
    • Jul 2011

Wouldn't it be a good idea to put a relay switch in the starter circuit that is activated by the blower switch? This way, if the blower is not on, the starter switch does nothing. I'm surprised this isn't a standard requirement.
    Jeff Taylor
    Baltic 38DP

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

The Nose That Knows

Originally posted by Loki9 View Post
      Wouldn't it be a good idea to put a relay switch in the starter circuit that is activated by the blower switch? This way, if the blower is not on, the starter switch does nothing. I'm surprised this isn't a standard requirement.
      Also it would be a good idea to put a relay on your nose because if you don't sniff the blower exhaust and\or check the engine\bilge area for fumes and there is an invertant fuel leak it will go BOOM despite the blower.
      Sniffing for gas fumes before each engine start is SOP (standard operating procedure) on my boat.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Don't forget the Xintex fume sniffer. Mine is interfaced with the blower, it automatically evacuates any combustible fumes detected by the sensor. I keep it armed at all times.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Here is a danger not realized by everyone:
          Gasoline does a fair job numbing your sense of smell. I once read of an old trick used my people that had to haul dead bodies around that was to rub gasoline under your nose.
          So.....when you fill your boat with gas you will smell gas. If even a drop spills on you the smell is wherever you go too. It will not be obvious there are fumes in the boat because you smell gas anyway. When my fill hose elbow split I had filled the boat and obviously smelled gas from that and my hand. I was running the blower and thought maybe-sorta-kinda there was an odor. I put my hands around the vent and really smelled the output. It seemed to smell like gas for sure so I checked the bilge. About 2 gallons in the tank and three in the bilge
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            was running the blower and thought maybe-sorta-kinda there was an odor. I put my hands around the vent and really smelled the output. It seemed to smell like gas for sure so I checked the bilge. :
            More better to stick your nose almost in the vent and suck in a good lung full. This is what I do. With just a sniff you could miss something important.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              Don't forget the Xintex fume sniffer. Mine is interfaced with the blower, it automatically evacuates any combustible fumes detected by the sensor. I keep it armed at all times.
              I will have to look into this idea when I install mine. How do you have it wired into the blower circuit?
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by GregH View Post
                I will have to look into this idea when I install mine. How do you have it wired into the blower circuit?
                The Xintex MB-1-R has a relay specifically for blower interface (the 'B' in the model number = 'blower'). I wired the relay parallel to the blower switch, power source for both the normal switch and the relay is the same as the detector, that is, on all the time.

If you are thinking that way be sure to get the correct model.

edit:
                The power source for my CNG solenoid valve is the same as the Xintex. In no way can I use cooking fuel without the sniffer armed.
                Last edited by ndutton; 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                  • Sep 2014

Pretty sure an Atomic 4 didn't cause this fire...

John Novotny
                  1973 Tartan 30 #186
                  Baltimore, MD

Comment

Working...
                  X