• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Photobug
    • Jul 2015

Oily Bilge/leaky engine.

My bilge has a constant slick of oil.

It stays on the surface and the bilge in pumped out from underneath so there is no discharge overboard. However it is really ugly and I'd like to resolve it. There is no obvious leak from anywhere on the engine. What should i use to clean the engine to start inspecting and monitoring it? Where should i start looking for the leak?
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Until You Get The Leak Figured Out........

If you can get an oil adsorb pad between the engine and bilge it will keep the oil out of the bilge.
    If this is not possible on your boat an oil adsorb pad in the bilge will remove almost all the oil.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Trés 30
      • May 2014

Possible leak sites

Two places come to mind right off hand:

First is water pump weep hole (blue), if there's a chance your seals need replacing.
      Second is block drain holes (reds), if the plugs aren't in good. The one closest to the fly wheel should have your oil pressure sender connected to it, instead of a plug.

If by chance the engine had too much oil put in, I think it's possible that it'd leak from behind the fly wheel (green). You'd be able to tell if it were coming from the rear seal (black).

About how much oil are we talking?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Photobug
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Trés 30 View Post

About how much oil are we talking?
        Thanks Tres

I am not sure, I have not done much work on the boat yet or at least the engine. I have had to address the bilge pump twice and the water in there is an oily disgusting mess and not fun to work in.

We had the boat surveyed and the previous boat manager cleaned out the bilge for that.

I have never even checked the oil. The engine has been rebuilt a few years ago but not painted at the time so it is pretty crusty looking and not as easy to find a leak on.

Speaking of oil, how often should I change it?
        What should i use to clean an oily engine with flaky paint to start with clean slate to look for the source of oil?

Comment

• Marian Claire
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2007

Welcome to the forum.
          Standard procedure is oil change every 50 hours. But a good practice is to check the oil level and its color every start up. If it is dark change it. Oil changes are cheap and "easy".
          A set of inexpensive small wire brushes and a rag will help a lot with the flakes.
          If you do not have the MMI manual get one. http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...rebuilder.html
          I have had success skimming off the top layer of oil from the bilge water. It does not get it all but if you add some oil absorption cloths, mentioned earlier, after the skimming thing do clear up.
          Post a pic of your A-4 if you can.

Dan S/V Marian Claire
          Last edited by Marian Claire; 07-09-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• Loki9
            • Jul 2011

Absorb as much of the spilled oil as possible. Pump any remaining seawater out. Pour a healthy amount of dish soap into the bilge and add fresh water until the oily parts are covered. Go sailing, or otherwise slosh the sudzy water around. A scrub brush can be used on the really nasty parts. Pump the soapy water out.

The engine should have it's own separate bilge so that oil spills will not get pumped overboard by your bilge pump. Clean that section under your A4 with paper towels and then soapy water. Once it's clean, put oil absorbing pads under the A4 to determine where the leak is.
            Jeff Taylor
            Baltic 38DP

Comment

• Photobug
              • Jul 2015

Ive got the MMI manual and skimmed through it the other day.

Here are some photos.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X