• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KenVoodoo
    • Jun 2011

any tests for a starter?

HI,
    Engine was running great, went out for our first sail. All good until we wanted the engine to get home and the starter didn't do anything (no sounds at all that I could tell over the engine oil pressure alarm at least).

tried shorting across the starter switch, nothing.

I could easily see two connections on the starter, one was 12 V (looking at original engine manual electrial diagram this is basically from the battery.) The way I understood it is I should get the starter to work if I apply 12 V to the other connection...which I tried with no luck.....

Anything else I can try before ordering a new starter...I think this one only lasted 50 yrs...think it is under warrenty?

I was having some intermittent problems the last year I could use the boat..but I blamed the switch (so have a spare for that)....

thank you
    Ken
  • mpleahy
    • Mar 2009

starter

I brought my starter and alternator to Bonded Auto Parts, a local starter/alternator repair/rebuild shop in Ellsworth, Maine and they came back "better than new." I paid $140 for both and the mechanic had all the replaced parts bagged for my inspection. They were blasted and repainted, so looked new as well. Maybe there's a similar service in your area.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Ken, I would pull the starter to be checked after checking the solenoid for a click! What you hear when engaging the starter is the switching of the power to the starter by the solenoid. If you hear the click and no joy it is the solenoid switching and nothing happening which could be the solenoid or the brushes inside the starter.
      Did you try giving the starter a wrap while the key start position was being engaged? Sometimes this will work for quite a while or not at all but it is indicative of a rebuild being needed soon.

Best to just pull it and have it tested or rebuilt. Our host could set you up very well too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• KenVoodoo
        • Jun 2011

does that mean?

If I don't even hear a click, does that mean the solenoid is a problem? I thought if the solenoid didn't work, the starter would whirl, but not engage.
        guess I am not clear on the order of events...
        ken

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

If you don't hear a click it could be the start circuit or even poor grounding as far back as the battery post. Still a LOT of possibilities.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

Ken, the solenoid supplies the current to the starter so it will spin. The "bendix" unit on the starter slides forward to engage the ring gear when the motor starts to spin and returns when the motor stops by disengaging the solenoid. Two separate things working together.

Do check your ground wires on the block and the connection to the battery ground. They can look good and not allow current to flow.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Nanook
              • Nov 2016

What was the voltage at the panel? Measured with a portable voltmeter at the positive lead on the starter and the engine block for the ground? It can be "enough" to run an alarm but not high enough nor enough current to operate the solenoid or starter.

If the voltage is good, SMELL for fumes next to the engine THEN use a piece of insulated wire to touch/jump from the big power inlet cable and the little "s" connection at the solenoid. (If it's not marked, it's probably the only smaller wire attached.) It will probably spark a bit when making and breaking the connection.

Comment

• KenVoodoo
                • Jun 2011

Ordered one from MMI

HI,
                I ran a jumper cable from the engine block to the negative terminal of the starting battery. No luck
                Battery voltages are very high right now (start of season, all topped off).

So ordered one from MMI...have been sort of worried about it for a number of years....one of the few "original" parts left...
                Ken

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Ken
                  I presume you took a voltage reading at the big terminal on the starter to compare to the battery voltage?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                  X