X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

Fresh Water Cooling Install

I've been meaning to post these pics for some time now. The pics show my custom install of a fresh water cooling system on my A4 with a V drive. It's on a C&C 33'. Because of clearance issues at the flywheel, I had to install the Indigo FWC kit that drives the raw water pump off of the assessory drive. The hardest part of this conversion from raw to fresh water cooling was figuring out the best place for the heat exchanger and routing of all hoses. Certainly makes the engine compartment more crowded, but it has made my operating temp much more stable on this engine that was cooled with raw water for the first 33 years of its life. You can also see my new exhaust installation and the placement of the anti-siphon valve - an add on as my old cooling system arrangement did not have an anti-siphon valve.
    Attached Files
  • willsr
    • Sep 2009

Fwc

Thanks for the pics Kurt.
    Do you have a raw water strainer?
    I also installed the same system in my Ranger 33 two years ago.
    I didn't install a raw water strainer and I have to back flush the heat exchanger at least twice a year with a high pressure hose to get the junk out.
    I also need to change the zinc often so I recommend watching that.
    Good job!
    Steve
    Barbara J
    Oceanside Ca

Comment

• Kurt
      • Jun 2007

I actually don't have a raw water strainer - should probably get one of those! For the time being, flushing out that heat exchanger will be a lot easier than doing pressure flushes of my block - which I used to have to do every 6 months when it was raw water cooled. Thanks for the zinc advice - I'll check that out. I know my bottom cleaners have to replace shaft zincs every 3 months maximum so I'll bet the heat exchanger zinc will suffer from the "hot" marina I'm at as well.

Comment

• msauntry
        • May 2008

You might try a galvanic isolator. They've helped my neighbor's boat alot. I just installed one after hearing his report. Keeps the zincs around a bit longer...

Comment

• rigspelt
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2008

Nice work. I see the magic marker guides on the bulkhead -- mine has similar marks too! Quite the juggling act to figure out where to put everything.

Careful removing the zinc -- I cracked the thread base where the hex is welded to the relatively thin metal of the heat exchanger body, even though I tried to be careful to apply a second stabilizing wrench on that hex base while backing out the zinc. Had to remove the HE to take it to a radiator shop for repair.
          1974 C&C 27

Comment

• pallen58
            • Oct 2009

Fresh Water Cooling vs. Raw Water

Good Morning:
            Being new to the A4 I have questions. In many posts I see reference to "Fresh Water" and "Raw Water" for cooling.
            What is the difference? I draw water in from the lake so while not fresh it sure isn't salt water either.
            Thanks
            Pat

Comment

• Don Moyer
              • Oct 2004

msauntry,

Do you have any information on the galvanic isolator that you could share; like where/how is it connected, what does it isolate, etc, etc?

Don

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

Pat A "raw water" cooled engine draws in water, whatever the boat is sitting in, salt or fresh and runs it thru the engine and then out the exhaust. A "fresh water" cooled engine re-circulates a fresh water /antifreeze mix thru the engine and a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is cooled by separate “raw water” system. Hope that makes sense. Dan S/V Marian Claire
                Last edited by Marian Claire; 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Kurt
                  • Jun 2007

I echo Don's question about the galvanic isolator. My diver told me to get one as my shaft zincs are burning too quickly. I believe he said that the isolator is connected to the shore power outlet and operates whenever you are "plugged in" to the dock. Does anyone else have additional information as to how these things are connected. This information could help save all of us money on zinc replacement!

Comment

• Administrator
                    MMI Webmaster
                    • Oct 2004

This link should help. This one too.

Bill

Comment

• rigspelt
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2008

Nigel Calder's book has a good discussion on galvanic isolators and isolation transformers.
                      1974 C&C 27

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Here is a pic of the one I installed this spring in my 67 C&C Corvette. It was very easy to install and the operating principle is straightforward. We don't have a lot of problems with galvanic corrosion in fresh water but I think the protection is worth having.

Besides, one day I may decide to become a salt-water sailor!

PS - I got mine from "The Charger Guy" on E-bay - also got a 3-bank battery charger which is mounted just to the left/backside of the cockpit opening. Good price and both are working with no problems. Also, for it to satisfy ABYC standards I need to hook up a remote moniter which plugs in on the right side just below the gold coloured terminal lug.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 11-25-2009, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Greg Kingman
                          • Dec 2008

Keel Cooler

Does anyone have any information about or experience with a Keel Cooler setup?
                          Thanx,
                          Greg

Comment

• msauntry
                            • May 2008

Google "yandina isolator" and you'll see the one I ordered. Much less expensive than the WM offerings. I don't really care about the remote monitor feature, so call me non-ABYC compliant...

Comment

• edwardc
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by msauntry View Post
                              Google "yandina isolator" and you'll see the one I ordered. Much less expensive than the WM offerings. I don't really care about the remote monitor feature, so call me non-ABYC compliant...
                              I put in one of these last year, and documented the project.

See http://www.chessie.com/boat/projects...lvanicIsolator
                              @(^.^)@ Ed
                              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X