Can I use a portable fuel tank ... for now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timkb
    • Aug 2011

Fuel Pump

Your first post states that you have an electric fuel pump and a Racor filter. Why not just disconnect the output and run a longer line to a container? If it's the usual Racor filter I believe it filters to 10 microns. Jumper the oil pressure safety if installed and replace the filter when done. Put a few gallons of fresh fuel in to clean the leftovers and then pump that out.

PS - I have a '74 P30

Comment

• rigspelt
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2008

1. That is one of the most amazing sailing photos I've seen in my life. Thank you for that. In fact, I just made it the wallpaper on my iPad's lock page. Hope that's OK!

2. To pump fuel from my tank, I ended up buying a simple outboard fuel line hand squeeze pump and attached A-1 fuel hose to each end. Only takes a few minutes to pump a few gallons out of a tank, and I tie one of the hoses to a stick so I can direct it to the very bottom of the tank after removing the fill hose. Simplest and most efficient solution I've found so far.
      Last edited by rigspelt; 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM.
      1974 C&C 27

Comment

• P30
        • Aug 2011

Got her going. Thanks again, all.

Wow, I may learn to love my new boat and A4, after all.

I used the Beckson hand pump that was recommended on this forum and after a few weeks of repeatedly adding solvents and gas and then pumping the tank dry, I got most (though I am sure not all) of the crud out.

To be honest, I was worried when a few folks on here likened the color of their bad fuel to dark urine, as mine appeared that way, too. But then I saw their pics and theirs looked more like tar. Maybe both my fuel system and my own innards are in better shape than I thought.

Anyhow, got the fuel tank cleaned as best I could, replaced both the Racor and the fine filter (tried to drain the carb's bowl but it was bone dry), gave the bulb a few squeezes and it fired right up and purred happily till wifey got bored and I shut her down (A4, not wifey).

I'll change both filters again after a few hours run time just to be sure. Most of the fuel line appears to be almost new, although it is a complicated affair with what appears to be 2 brass check valves, the bulb, a stretch of brass and a curved rubber piece with sort of a jacket. PO, you out there? I'll change out all the rubber pieces at lay-up this winter.

After reading on here about rebuilds and teardowns etc, I am sure that this seems like a non event, but I can assure you that I was stopping complete strangers to tell them how I got my boat running again. Sure hope the next time will be just as easy.

And ... reading the forum taught me not to ever crank her for more than a few seconds with the water inlet open, which was certainly news to me. And ... I saw an ad for and ordered the dip stick extension which means the skin on my left arm might now grow back without a graft.

As for the query about the pic, I got it off the net myself (it was free to use, just not commercially) so have at it!

Thanks again, all.

Comment

• Bold Rascal
          • Mar 2011

Excellent news P

Thanks for sharing the photo and your experience. Hope to see you on the water sometime.
          Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
          1973 Pearson 33
          1967 Bristol 27
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X