X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Steve,

This is somewhat of a long shot, but many years ago as I was manually rotating one of the first engines I ever disassembled, I heard a clicking/clunking sound in the back of the engine every time I would stop to change my grip on the crank and begin to turn again. What I discovered is that the brake band was trying to rotate as I turned the engine and the ear on the side would "clunk" down against the top of the oil pan (which it's supposed to do) each time I started turning the engine. If you are using a crank that would have you stopping and restarting your cranking operation every quarter of a turn, you would get the impression that you are hearing a clunking sound four times each revolution.

Don

Comment

• swokrams
      • Dec 2007

Don,

Thanks for weighing in. I discovered the ear on the reversing gear and how it clunks down on the casting tab. The sound I am describing is very much like the reversing gear tab clunk, but it is located further forward, say about where the oil pump is located, and the sound has more than one part to it.

This sound goes Clunk, clk, clk, . . . 180 degrees later it goes Clunk, clk, clk . . . 180 degrees later it goes clk clk (no Clunk). . . and then 180 degrees later, the pattern starts again. It occurs in series of three.

Is there any gearing that rotates once for every 1 and 1/2 turn of the crankshaft? How many teeth are there on the idler, and how many are on the crank shaft. I might be looking for something with a 2 to 3 ratio.

Steve

Comment

• swokrams
        • Dec 2007

Figured it out.

Duh. . . The noise I am hearing is the valves lifting. In my limited experience I have only worked with hydrolic lifters which are much quieter. -Steve

Comment

Working...
        X