X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

dont worry about what way the blades point when you install the impeller. They sort themselves out. It can be a tight squeeze at the cam.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

GOB
      I know where you are coming from. When I did my first water pump rebuild it was in my per forum days. I turned the engine with a hand crank before I put the cover plate on to be sure the impeller blades were flexed in the correct direction before I started the engine after the rebuild. Even though later I learned it was unecessary (after I joined the forum) it made me feel better at the time.
      I still do this after a water pump rebuild as a double check to be sure everything is right before I hit the pump with full engine power. Overly cautious? Probably so.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• goodoldboat
        • May 2017

impeller

I just dont think I have enough force from the stern exhaust .. I found i video on line showing the exhaust being expelled with great force .after cleaning the Elbows and the Acid flush installing the By pass
        I just expected more .

this boat is new to me so I do not really have a barometer ..

If I could get a visual on the impeller it could give me an a base line , as I stated earlier the PO was a little fuzzy on when the impeller was changed last.
        S/V Gosling
        Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
        ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Nahart
          • Oct 2010

A word on the acid backwash, I did the backwash and still ran hot. I then backwashed only the exhaust ( reverse direction also) manifold and I couldn't believe what came out of that thing. Haven't run hot since then and water explodes out of the transom.
          Marker Dave

"Solitaire"
          '75 Catalina 30 #65

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by goodoldboat View Post
            I just dont think I have enough force from the stern exhaust .. I found i video on line showing the exhaust being expelled with great force .after cleaning the Elbows and the Acid flush installing the By pass
            I just expected more .
            this boat is new to me so I do not really have a barometer ..
            If I could get a visual on the impeller it could give me an a base line , as I stated earlier the PO was a little fuzzy on when the impeller was changed last.
            GOB
            You are doing good thing here getting to know your new love~I mean boat~better. I lost track. Is the engine running hot? Maybe a previous owner modified the exhaust system or there is rust\corrosion in the exhaust system somewhere that is causing the steam.

TRUE GRIT
            Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 08-10-2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Nahart View Post
              I then backwashed only the exhaust ( reverse direction also) manifold and I couldn't believe what came out of that thing. Haven't run hot since then and water explodes out of the transom.
              Did you do the Thatch Modification by re plumbing so water enters the manifold at the low end? With this modification you will "back flush" the manifold cooling area every time you start the engine. Also the modification will eliminate air pockets in the manifold and slowdown rust formation.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Have you determined WHAT pump you actually have yet?
                (See post #9)
                -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• goodoldboat
                  • May 2017

impeller

The pump is an Oberdorfer , i think . The flush of the exhaust manifold sounds like a good idea . I will do it with the by pass valve open . so everything goes through the T stat Housing ,( T stat is removed ) .

I had a massive exhaust failure on Maiden voyage earlier in the year and replaced the entire hot section .At high revs the water still really only batches out the stern . I have been on many other boats and the exhaust is explosive .I have checked elbows , acid wash , by pass valve installed ?The last is the impeller ? and the water lift muffler ?

At 1600 RPM ,the speedo says 6.5 and I don't get any steam , So I'm happy .

I have by pass valve fully closed ( its actually not a valve but a c clamp ) , i am wondering should I open it up and send some water through the by pass?
                  S/V Gosling
                  Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
                  ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

The pump is an Oberdorfer , i think .
                    Does it say Oberdorfer on it or look like the pic?
                    I ask because you need to know to have the correct impeller.

I had a massive exhaust failure on Maiden voyage earlier in the year and replaced the entire hot section
                    Did you replace the EXHAUST HOSE as well?
                    They can fail internally and collapse limiting flow.
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• goodoldboat
                      • May 2017

impeller

looks like the top picture ..

Both hoses from the eater muffler are in good shape they have not collapsed
                      internally.

Which impeller do I need ?
                      S/V Gosling
                      Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• Van_Isle
                        • Sep 2012

Top picture?

They're side-by-side for me.
                        1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
                        Cygnet
                        North Saanich, BC

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

looks like the top picture ..
                          Which impeller do I need ?
                          Just tell Ken at MMI that you need a impeller for a Oberdorfer pump. He will fix you up.
                          Also tell Ken you need a M7 cam shoe to increase the pump's output. P\N CSOB_8_69.
                          I'll explain as well as I can remember. If Ken or another member says something different go with what they say.
                          Anyway: The Oberdorfer pump comes with a 5 millimeter cam. Increasing the cam to 7 mm compresses the impeller blades more resulting in more pump output.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2008

gob..some pictures would help clear up the confusion a bit...and/or a short video of the exhaust uploaded to youtube.
                            -Shawn
                            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                            sigpic

Comment

• goodoldboat
                              • May 2017

impeller

thanks guys and good advice .. I will get to boat this weekend and take video ..
                              S/V Gosling
                              Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

Working...
                              X