• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodadams62
    Frequent Contributor
    • Dec 2013

catalina 30 on Lake Ontario

Hello people. This is an awesome site . I have had my cat 30 for 8 years now and have done quite a bit of motor upgrading. First off was the new electronic ignition, rebuilt the starter and the alternator,all new fuel lines, and i had a cooling water blockage in the block so i knew a mechanic who had a spare clean one. Overall its quite asturdy little motor .I live on Lake Ontario which I can access in 5 min. from the marina. Unfortunately my wife has lost interest in sailing and as i am semi retired i am thinking of downsizing to a smaller sailboat. anyway spring is only 5 months away. Cheers.......Rod.......radamuszak@yahoo.com
    Last edited by rodadams62; 12-08-2013, 04:25 PM.
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

wahoo - more C-30s with an A-4!

Rod, welcome...what hull number C-30 do you have?
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• jbsoukup
      Afourian MVP
      • Jan 2012

here's mine.
      hull no. 783
      Oct. 2012 lake michigan

Attached Files
      sigpicjohn
      '77 catalina 30 #783
      the only way to be sure is to make sure

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

OOOOoooo...a folding prop & I suspect a tall rig with the bowsprit! Nice!

Here's my old girl getting launched this summer...my slip neighbor & I (Spencer, now a fellow C-30 owner with Atomic4 & hence a new Moyer forum member, but he has a Mac so he's computer challenged & we don't see him much 'round here ) call them our fat-bottomed girls...of which your pic shows most eloquently jbsoukup!! Awesome pic of her at anchor!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sastanley; 12-12-2013, 12:10 AM.
        -Shawn
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Hey Shawn, what is wrong with Macs? They are what microsoft tried unsuccessfully to copy, with windows.

I get a laugh when my wife yells at her Dell.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

RC..nothing directly. I just like to tease Spencer because he is always having trouble..his wife is a teacher and they have iProducts all over the house.

More C-30 pics (this one taken from Spencer's #355 of my #511)!
            Attached Files
            -Shawn
            sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Whoa - whoa.

How does Spencer sail downwind with the Bimini in the way of the end boom mainsheet?
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Neil..I am on Spencer's boat taking a picture of my boat with the blue sail cover. I measured and ordered/installed the bimini to get as far aft as possible without interfering with the end boom sheeting...it came from the "pontoon boat" selection at iboats.com.. The orange shirt is hanging on the tiller, obscuring the black mainsheet behind it. As you noted, you can see the traveler just aft & above the tiller. I have about 3" from the aft end of the bimini to the mainsheet block.

That is a crappy low-res cell phone pic. The ONLY issue with this set up is if I am really sheeted hard on the main, it likes to occasionally rub the bimini. I am currently deciding the labor/benefit analysis of losing head room by cutting the bimini frame down or raising the boom 4" at the gooseneck (the screws on the gooseneck track are spaced ~2" apart.) I have "P" dimension clearance (mainsail luff) for at least 4".

There is a brief transitional period where it could be in the way on a broad reach, but I did a 30 mile trip with the spinnaker up jibing north up the Bay this summer with no trouble.

Here is a view from the transom...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sastanley; 12-13-2013, 12:30 AM.
                -Shawn
                sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Wicked optical illusion from where I'm sitting.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

Then you gotta fly to MD for sail.

'Round these parts, I opted for the bimini before the dodger. That being said, I also wanted maximum deck coverage to the $$. We are more often roasting in the 90°+ Sun than sailing in a 20 knot squall. If I had mid-boom sheeting like the newer boats (and I checked out the cost of a traveler hardware, conversion, etc.. cha-ching!) I would have extended the bimini all the way to the backstay!

Although I've done both 90 degree windless days and 20 knot squalls upwind in this boat...more than once.

edit - And I am no photog either, but I think that optical illusion could be from a lack of 'depth of field', which is very poor on that poor old cell phone's camera. I gotta adjust my f-stop & change my exposure or something..
                    Last edited by sastanley; 12-13-2013, 12:53 AM.
                    -Shawn
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X