• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Cooling problem SOLVED - odd symptoms

Here are the symptoms:
    The engine lost power and started knocking. I looked back at the temp and it was pegged over 250 degrees. ?????????????
    I shut the engine down, waitied a few minutes and restarted it. The temps were back to normal and it ran fine the rest of the day. My guess at that point was a plastic bag got sucked onto the intake.
    The next day the engine was very hard to start. It ended up needing ether. I also noticed I had to run the bilge pump more than usual. Temps were normal. When I got back in the slip, I decided to investigate. I was going to reach around back by the water pump and see if I could feel anything out of the ordinary when I got SHOCKED. My hand wasn't touching anything, but I was getting shocked pretty badly. ???????????
    I shined a flashlight back there and noticed a fine mist of water. It was apparently enough to leak current from the ignition system to my hand. It also explained the hard starting. Now to look back there and try not to get shocked. Suddenly the water volume increases a lot and I was getting hosed.
    I assumed it was a bad pump seal, but it wasn't. I called Moyer Marine and was advised to look at the drain pipe screwed into the block back there. Turns out it was GONE
    Seems debris would block and unblock the hole, allowing varying amouts of water through. Easy fix - Thanks
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Joe, On my engine that was a galvanized pipe. It rusted away and was epoxied in place by the PO. I replaced mine with a slightly larger brass tube, after drill & tapping new threads.

nice work.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X