• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mart
    Frequent Contributor
    • Feb 2011

Cooling Water Flow in A4

I am currently installing a FWC system on my A4. I was back flushing the block and placed a hose on the manifold exit hole and blocked the forward manifold input port expecting flushing of the block from the internal port. I understand that the manifold is cooled by two ports the external one at the forward end of the manifold and the internal one between the block and manifold. There was no flow from the block at the open ports. Am I mistaken and that all manifold cooling comes from the forward input port?

Before I started the conversion I noticed that the water line form the rear manifold was cold. I also noted that forward spark plug (all new plugs) was carbon-ed up. When I opened the side plate for the cold water in side and the thermostat housing I found 7 impeller tips in the engine. Three of them were lodged in the thermostat and were blocking it open. That explains why it was running cold.

Is is likely that I have a blocked engine/manifold port?

Thank you,

Mart
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Welcome Mart

The only coolant flow in and out of the manifold is via the hose connections on the top at each end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4 manifold cooling.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	190841
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mart
      Frequent Contributor
      • Feb 2011

Neil,

Thanks for the correction and the clear graphic.

Mart

Comment

Working...
      X