Order a new carburetor or keep messing around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDK
    • Apr 2016

I am NOT having fun out here tonight, there's huge waves with the wind blasting straight in off the Gulf, i'v had water over the bow and a wave broke over the side of the boat into the cockpit...
    ..yikes

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Batten down the hatches and stand by the pumps. No one leaves the cockpit without a harness clipped on to a jackline and a life jacket.

Long night ahead, hang in there.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JDK
        • Apr 2016

I survived......had 8 ft waves with a couple 12 ft breakers that smashed down on me from above,I took water down the companionway and hatches , the kayak and jonboat were torn off and dumped on the beach full of sand......but I get to keep my sailboat......22 pound Delta with 30 feet of stainless 3/8 chain and a 150 ft long line out.....

being inland as soon as my carburetor gets here is sounding very appealing.....

apparently my vessel is solid.....

Comment

• JDK
          • Apr 2016

So, while I am impressed with the brand new made in 2015 carburetor, it's useless to me as is and I'm still stranded now, the carburetor is supposed to have studs in it like the old one, instead it has open holes, great, now I've spent all my money for the month and still am stranded out here.....that's a major major FAIL ! No one said anything about anything except reusing the hose barb fitting.....let me guess, I'm expected to walk and ride a bus to a hardware store and fool around, not exactly what I paid 335.75 for....
          Last edited by JDK; 03-09-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• JDK
            • Apr 2016

It won't let me upload the photos i made either, sorry

I had a chat with Ken, apparently this is another thing that someone modified in the past, because they are supposed to be put on with bolts called 5/16 course thread x 1 inch long cap screws......no victory lap and sail away for me, instead I'm back off across the surf in the kayak on a hardware store adventure....
            Last edited by JDK; 03-09-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
              • Nov 2004

Sorry for your troubles...

....there is always a way. Can't you find two suitable bolts with nuts and lock washers anywhere on your boat? Temporarily unbolt something unnecessary to borrow the bolts? Even a couple C clamps might be worth a try?
              Marty
              1967 Tartan 27
              Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Don Moyer
                • Oct 2004

Studs

Or use the studs from the old carburetor. Don

Comment

• JDK
                  • Apr 2016

I just very forcefully extracted the studs from the old carburetor, you know why ? Because after getting the proper bolts, guess what, you can't use them, they do not clear in between the flange and the casting of the intake manifold....... impossible to insert.....so I'm in the process of attempting to set up the old studs in the new carb......

By the way, the old carburetor isn't even a Zenith, it's a Bendix......is my 1968 C&C Corvette 31 #66 equipped with one of those rare lowered horsepower Canadian versions maybe ??? Manifolds and alternator bracket are painted yellow if that means anything.....
                  Last edited by JDK; 03-09-2018, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

My $0.02 worth.
                    Try going back to the original way the carb was attached to the manifold.
                    Bolts up through the mounting holes in the carb into the flange. No studs.
                    The studs are modification by a previous owner to make bolting the carb to the manifold easier. If the modification is not working for you with the new carb ditch the modification.
                    Before trying be sure the bolts thread easily into the manifold.

TRUE GRIT

PS: Is there any spacer between the carb and the manifold? Is there a PCV valve on the engine?

Comment

• JDK
                      • Apr 2016

It's all together, i'v ran some fuel through so it's fresh , and she's all hooked up and primed, wish me luck, hopefully now comes the fun part....

I couldn't connect the choke due to differences but I shouldn't need it today, it's warm....here goes.....

Comment

• JDK
                        • Apr 2016

No go, only a few sputters, I bet I have to stay stuck here another month cause it won't run at all without that proper carburetor scavenge tube to the manifold.....I cranked until I flooded it, I'll let it air out and try again later, but I guess that's that.....damm

The reason I can't connect the choke is the new carburetor has some piece flared in to the lever, I need that piece gone, I couldn't smash it back with a pliers, it barely sticks out, probably has to be filed off......I did try it with the choke ziptied once, made a few sputters and died....
                        Last edited by JDK; 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

You sound a bit frustrated. The carb can use studs or bolts, I have done it both ways and can't even remember which one I have right now.
                          If memory serves, the bolts go UP from under the carb. My new carb Moyer shipped me when I was stranded did not have bolts or studs, but the old one did and they just got recycled.
                          As for your other issues, my engine needs choke unless it is hot from being run. Just a warm day does not cut it. The scavenging tube is important and the size is not readily available anyplace but Moyer. You HAVE to have it, you cannot just leave the holes empty.
                          As a make-do, the hole in the manifold and in the carb are standard NPT. You can get hardware store hose, fittings and a valve. You need it turned down some, the pipe that would normally be there is tiny.
                          Good luck! BTW, where are you?
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• JDK
                            • Apr 2016

Yeah I guess I screwed up by not ordering a scavenge tube, it never has had one in the first place, how I got the boat, both holes plugged.....oh well, I wasn't being cheap I just can't afford this stuff......I'll sail down to the end of the island and pull the boat manually behind my kayak on a incoming tide to get into the harbor, I'm broke now for 3 weeks......

Comment

• TomG
                              Afourian MVP Emeritus
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JDK View Post
                              I couldn't connect the choke due to differences but I shouldn't need it today, it's warm....here goes.....
                              You'll play hell starting without the choke.
                              Tom
                              "Patina"
                              1977 Tartan 30
                              Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                                • Nov 2008

If you have a crew member available take the back flame arrestor off and have them block the air intake with their hand as a substitute choke while you crank the engine. If poor or no choke is the reason for the no starts this will work.
                                Have you been keeping the raw cooling water valve closed during the no start attempts?

TRUE GRIT
                                Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X