• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lauratheexplorer
    Frequent Contributor
    • Sep 2019

Leaky water pump (with new seals)

Hello!

I finally got my Atomic four running a few weeks ago (woohoo!). I noticed the water pump was leaking as the engine ran, so I replaced the seals and reinstalled it (the Oberdorfer logos on the seals were facing each other so I am fairly certain they were at least oriented correctly when they were installed). I tried running it with the new seals for the first time today and there was still a pretty heavy leak coming out of the pump. I tightened the grease cup which reduced the flow to a slow but steady drip. I tightened the grease cup multiple times while the engine was running and it seemed to get tighter but then keep turning when I tried again a few minutes later. I also noticed some grease leaking out of the bottom of the pump.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Should my pump be leaking at all?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Laura
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Question:

Did you replace the shaft also? If the shaft is scored where it contacts the seals your chances of the water pump not leaking are slim to none. As I recall* you can pull the shaft out to have a look at it while the pump is still installed.

TRUE GRIT

*Switched to a MMI pump years ago. Very happy with it.

Edit: If the shaft is scored maybe the scoring tore the new seals up. Hope not.
    Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 12-08-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Laura,
      You've got to remember the age of the old Oberdorfer pumps. I played with mine for years trying to stop the leak - was never successful. Seals and shaft can be replaced, but the entire pump body wears too.
      Not an issue (plenty of water out there, deep bilge) until I changed to glycol cooling. Then I was leaking glycol, not sea water - it was like losing blood (you only have so much).
      You can buy a new Oberdorfer pump, but why? The Moyer pump has ball bearings and a face seal. It's a better pump. The pain of paying for it goes away, leaving you the joy of a good pump.

Comment

• nyvoyager
        • Jun 2012

Laura,
        I replaced my original Ober pump with a MMI pump (twice)
        If you are inclined to rebuilt an original pump, I'll gladly send one to you for postage.
        I believe I have 2 oberdorfer pumps as well as an early model pump.

Comment

Working...
        X